Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rinka Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2003, 03:19 AM
    Small Question
    Umm... (I must sound like an amateur)
    In SUVAT equations...
    How can you tell when a displacement has to be negative or positive..?

Like when freefall... is the displacement +ve or -ve
    :-[
    (if down is considered +ve)

And when you throw something up (considering up as positive)
    is displacement +ve or -ve

So sorry!

Please help and Thanks
    Dr._Ephemeron Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2003, 10:37 AM
    Small Question
    You can make it anyway you want, but all vectors must be in the same reference frame.

If you make down positive, then displacment down is positive. This is counter-intuitive, but it works.

Just make up positive and down negative and always stick to using that! That way all displacements up are positive.

Also, remember that a change in something, such as position, is always the second position minus the first position (delta_z = z2 - z1). So if down is positive and you go from 200 m to 100 m, that is a displacement of  100 - 200 = -100 m wich is a negative value. This is wrong! Down is positive so you must be going from either 0 m to 100 m down or 200 m to 300 m down for it to be positive. So it makes more since to make up positive so going from 200 m  to 100 m is correct! This means g is negative (-9.81 m/s2) and velocity going down is negative.
    Rinka Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2003, 01:58 AM
    Small Question
    Ah! Thank you so much Dr_Ephemeron
    !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Feeling small... [ 31 Answers ]

I went to London yesterday with my boyfriend Pete, and 6 of his friends. 5 of them are going to Italy with us in September for a holiday. We also have a weekend away to France Planned over Easter. Pete and his mate Dave came up with the France Idea and incorporated me to go with them. I...

Small dog not eating [ 7 Answers ]

hi everyone, I need some help. I have an 11 year old cocker mutt and she is very sick. About 2 1/2 weeks ago she started not being able to jump up on the bed or put a lot of weight on her right hind leg. She would never whine, like it wasn't hurting her at all though. About a week ago she started...

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

Small cockroaches [ 1 Answers ]

I lived with friends,where we couldn't get rid of the cockroaches... Now I moved into a roach-free home ( I know for sure,because I inspected everything carefully before moving in) only to find out ( oh horror) that some roaches have travelled with me inside my moving boxes! I haven't seen that...

View more questions Search