Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serenitymantra Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Horizontal Vectors
    A car drives horizontally off a 73m high cliff at a speed of 27 m/s. Ignore air resistance.

How long will it take the car to hit the ground?

How far from the base of the cliff will the care hit?

Any guidance will help. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 01:08 PM

You break the problem into two parts - the horizontal motion and the vertical. Start with the vertical - do you know how to determine how long it takes something to fall 73m? It doesn't matter that the car has an initial horizontal velocity - the time it takes to reach the ground is exactly the same as dropping a stone from a 73m high cliff.

Once you have figured out how long it takes to hit the ground, you can determine how far horizontally it moves by multiplying its initial horizontal velocity by the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About vectors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm facing problem how to visualise vevtors when our sir teaches... what exactly are vectors how do they look like... how can we easily understand these properties such as rings etc

Vectors and matrices [ 1 Answers ]

using these linear equations: 2x + 5y= 6 3x + 4y= 8 I have to write these in the form AX= B where A, X and B are matrices. how do I do this??

Graphical vectors [ 1 Answers ]

How do you calculate the direction of a graphical vector?

Reducing vectors [ 2 Answers ]

My teacher told me that usually we can't reduce vectors for example (6,8) can't be reduced to (3,4) but she also said that sometimes we can reduce. Can somebody please explain to me when we can and can't reduce vectors and why? Thank you

Calculating vectors [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I got a question that I am stuck with and need some help on it A boat that is capable of travelling at 4.5km/hr in still water is travelling on a river whose current is 1.5jm/h East. Find the time it takes for the boat to travel 3.0km downstream relative to the shore. And The time the boat...

View more questions Search