Hard physics question

Asked Jun 16, 2011, 08:19 AM — 31 Answers
    Could you answer this question for me please? It is the hardest question one may get about young modulus, elasticity ecc.

Attached Images Attached Images
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 10,925, Reputation: 1182

#2

Jun 16, 2011, 08:38 AM

Roddilla - we are not going to take your exam for you! I suggest you work through each step of the problem, and if you get stuck along the way please show us what you tried and how you got stuck - then we can help point the way.
    jcaron2's Avatar
    jcaron2 Posts: 983, Reputation: 203
    Senior Member

#3

Jun 16, 2011, 09:42 AM
    We can help, but have you worked out ANY of the answers yourself? Parts a and b, for example, are simple trigonometry.
    Roddilla's Avatar
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

#4

Jun 16, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaron2 View Post
    Yes I worked it all out and in fact got a value of 2.36 x 10^-11 for Young's Modulus but I don't know if I worked it out correctly
    jcaron2's Avatar
    jcaron2 Posts: 983, Reputation: 203
    Senior Member

#5

Jun 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Your value for Young's Modulus should not have a negative sign in the exponent. It should be on the order of the reciprocal of what you got. What did you calculate for the stress and elongation?
    Roddilla's Avatar
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

#6

Jun 16, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    my mistake 2.36 x 10^11 not -11

could you check if it is good
    Unknown008's Avatar
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723

#7

Jun 16, 2011, 11:03 AM

Hm... may I ask you to post the stress and extension you got?

I'm not getting what you got.
    jcaron2's Avatar
    jcaron2 Posts: 983, Reputation: 203
    Senior Member

#8

Jun 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
    That seems just about right. I get the same answer if I round the extension up to 0.08, but I would suggest you keep at least one more significant digit.

Jerry, how different was your answer? I think I'm right, but I must admit I'm not entirely sure if I'm off by a factor of two. You've probably done this sort of problem much more recently than I have!
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 10,925, Reputation: 1182

#9

Jun 16, 2011, 11:43 AM

JC: I Think you're correct. I'm getting E=2.45 x 10^11 Pa, or 245 GPa. By the way, Young's Modulus for steel is on the order of 200 GPa (depending on the particular alloy), so this seems reasonable.

I calculate a stress of 18.8 GPa and strain of 7.7%.
    Unknown008's Avatar

#10

Jun 16, 2011, 11:49 AM

Oh, you had more posts going in the meantime

Yes, the last post I saw was the negative power

Yes, now it's good

How do I solve these very hard physics problems? [ 1 Answers ]

27. A vertical steel wire, 5m long and of 1mm2 cross section area has a Young’s Modulus of 2.2 X 1011 Pa. Compute the period of a body of mass 2 Kg attached to the lower end of the wire and executing vertical vibrations? 29. A steel wire, diameter 0.5mm is 3m long. When a mass of 4.5kg is hung...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard physics [ 5 Answers ]

A diver jumps vertically with a velocity of 4.0m/s from a platform and enters the water 1. seconds later. If she falls with an acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s^2, what is her final velocity?

Really Hard Physics [ 2 Answers ]

A harmonic wave is traveling along a rope. The oscillator that generates the wave completes 46.0 vibrations in 25.6 s. A given crest of the wave travels 402 cm along the rope in a time of 13.1 s. What is the wavelenght? Answer in units of m.