Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phelpsfan08 Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Sep 30, 2010, 12:53 PM
    Negative scanner to save money?
    If I purchase a negative scanner the film still has to be processed before scanning right? If so, will retail stores like Walmart or Calagaz develop the film without making prints. Will this be cheaper? I use film but I don't have a darkroom set up so I just send them in to be developed. This is getting more expensive as I am taking more and more pictures. Ill go through many, many rolls just learning about shutter speed and aperture. I need to find a way to save money so I thought if the processing fees are cheaper a scanner would be a good investment. Thanks for your help. :D
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Sep 30, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phelpsfan08 View Post
    If I purchase a negative scanner the film still has to be processed before scanning right? If so, will retail stores like Walmart or Calagaz develop the film without making prints. Will this be cheaper? I use film but I don't have a darkroom set up so I just send them in to be developed. This is getting more expensive as I am taking more and more pictures. Ill go through many, many rolls just learning about shutter speed and aperture. I need to find a way to save money so I thought if the processing fees are cheaper a scanner would be a good investment. Thanks for your help. :D
    Yes, the film still has to be processed.

The cost to print 4x6 prints is a very small part of the cost of processing negatives. You will still need to buy film and pay for the negatives to be processed. If stores offer a lower price for developing (but not printing) the amount you save will be trivial.

You need a special scanner to get good images from negatives. The typical consumer scanner used for scanning documents is not nearly good enough. You need one that can scan at 6000 dpi or higher.

Any dust or dirt on the negative or the scanner will be greatly magnified in the scanned image. It's very difficult to get a completely clean scan from a negative. So you need A) to take extra care in scanning and then B) use special software to help you get rid of the dust and dirt marks in the scanned image.

Save your money, and buy a cheap digital camera (that allows you to have manual control over the exposure and focus) so that you can get immediate feedback about your exposure settings. Once you have the exposure and other settings correct, then take one shot with the film camera, knowing that the one shot will be exactly how you want it to be. This will save you money on film, processing, developing.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 02:03 PM

Any will do processing only. You just have to ask for it is all. HP makes scanners specifically for photo negatives. When you do go to have your film done just make sure the do a straight process on the film alone and you will be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to save money! [ 6 Answers ]

I need help or ways to start saving money. I spend it mainly on weed and cigs and food. How do I help quit those things to save some money but still be able to do the above?

Save money [ 1 Answers ]

How do you take a portable dishwasher and build it in the cabintry

Save money [ 4 Answers ]

I want to convert my gas furnace to electric How much exactly will this cost me and will it be worth it? My gas company is price gouging me and I can't afford it any more, is electric heat cheaper than gas?:confused:

Save money! [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possibly to convert single phase to three phase to save money running motors. Or will the amp draw on the converter be more than than the single phase motor consumsion?

Negative scanner [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently uncovered several hundred family photo negatives and am looking for a type of scanner where I can can them to see what they are. The scanner I have now, will allow me to scan one negative at a time and the results are not that great, since all I get is a small thumbnail type of...

View more questions Search