Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkiboo Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Should I be a photographer?
    OK I'm a freshman this year and I'm not sure what I want to do,I was thinking about looking into photographer but my parents say that it will not be a good idea because of the economy but I love taking pics of people and every thing elce I just don't want to pay for college to be a photographer if I'm not going to enjoy it or if it don't pay well so if there is any one that can give me advise on weather I should be a photographer please... please tell me!
    Thinks for your time
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 09:09 PM

No one here should tell you what to do with your future. It's your decision.

Remember most photographers are freelance and it is a competitive world out there. You also definitely need the talent!

Anyone can pick up a camera now a days and call themselves a photographer [I hate that]. I believe taking courses in order to better know the art of photography is always best.

First you need to decide what type of photography your going to be into; such as news, advertising or fine-art photography.

Practice, practice, practice!

Develop a portfolio

Get a job to work as a photographer's assistant.

Attend workshops and seminars to remain up-to-date on technical advances in photography.

And the most obvious of all, get a camera.

Sarah
    Dxslayer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    No one here should tell you what to do with your future. It's your decision.

Remember most photographers are freelance and it is a competitive world out there. You also definitely need the talent!

Anyone can pick up a camera now a days and call themselves a photographer [I hate that]. I believe taking courses in order to better know the art of photography is always best.

First you need to decide what type of photography your going to be into; such as news, advertising or fine-art photography.

Practice, practice, practice!

Develop a portfolio

Get a job to work as a photographer's assistant.

Attend workshops and seminars to remain up-to-date on technical advances in photography.

And the most obvious of all, get a camera.

Sarah
    +1
    It irritates me when people think that they can just grab a camera and point and shoot and automatically call themselves a photographer, I've used a photo camera before, but I don't consider myself to be a photographer, yet
    You'll definitely need skill to call yourself a photographer, you'll need to know DOF (professional term is Bokeh), aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and I'd recommend looking online for tutorials on how to take photos, i.e. which position they should be, what kind of background, what kind of lighting you want, and avoid dark shadows on people's faces that most likely will ruin the picture

Practice is all you need my friend

And might I add to that, that when you think you have good photos I'd recommend shooting at weddings. I've heard that those are in high demand.

- Dx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Baby photographer [ 5 Answers ]

The Smiths were unable to conceive children and decided to use a surrogate father to start their family. On the day the proxy father was to arrive, Mr. Smith kissed his wife goodbye and said, "Well, I'm off now. The man should be here soon." ...

Wedding photographer [ 5 Answers ]

I hired my wedding photographer 1 year before my wedding (last August). He was paid in full 2 weeks prior to my wedding (approx. $4,000). My wedding was August 5, 2006. I have spoken to my photographer twice since then!!!! I have sent him numerous e-mails and placed numerous phone calls to which...

Looking for a photographer [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I'm looking for a photographer. I live in the LA County and I'm interested in hiring a younger person even someone just starting, to take some couple portraits of me and my boyfriend. No nudity or anything weird will be involved, I just think a younger person would be more open to what we...

Sceptical about photographer. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Well basically this question really needs a bit of background information. Here goes. I am currently a part time non professional model for a local modelling agency, I have got quite an impressive range of professional photographs done for my portfolio, including head shots, fashion...

View more questions Search