Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

Jun 23, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Which camera should I get?
    http://www.digiworldhanoi.vn/digiold...ds/ti679_1.jpg
    http://www.pma-show.com/news_images/...rshot-a470.jpg

I am 13 and have never owned a digital camera before. I am becoming interested in photography, but I also would like a small camera for everyday use. I would not lug an SLR to school for graduation pictures, but I still want my camera to be able to grab a shot of lightning. I really like the SD1100's appearance, but the A470 has more manual controls, has faster shutter speed, and more optical zoom. It is also cheaper.

I have done a lot of research, looked at videos, customer and expert reviews, and compared them and they both are very good camera. Which do you suggest for me? I just think the SD1100 is prettier.

SD has 1/1500 shutter speed and 3x optical zoom, and scene modes. The A has 1/2000 shutter speed and 3.4x optical zoom, and also has scene modes, but someone who was looking at the SD did not find any scene modes at all, while I personally
    saw the scene modes on the A470.

I know I want a camera that:

-Has fast shutter speed
    -Comes in blue
    -Is small enough to fit in my pocket or purse
    -Has the motion technology thingy

so which camera do you think is best for me?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 08:44 PM
    The first one has image stabilization, the second doesn't. I'd take the first one just for that reason, your pictures won't be blurry taking motion shots.

If you can afford either I'd go for that one.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jun 24, 2008, 01:00 PM
    If you want to be a serious photographer, then the "scene modes" is irrelevant - you want to get a camera that lets you set the f-stop, shutter, iso, and flash so you can setup the shot the way YOU want, not the way the camera wants. If you want to take a photography class you will need these controls on your camera to use that camera in class.

If you just want to take pictures (snapshots), then the scene modes are the way to go.

IS is very helpful if you plan to take photos in low light, as you can use a slower shutter speed without motion blur (from the camera moving during the exposure) than you would otherwise be able to use.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Any camera will do for now. You will be replacing it in 6 months with better model anyway. Just start shooting...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Thank you for the negative rating. Appreciate it...

Anyway, ".....nobody wants to buy new camera once every 6 months...." . Nobody has that kind of money. When I bought my first Nikon F, I also thought it was "the" camera and that I will never have to buy a new one. But then the same Nikon line evolved to Nikon F2, Fn, F3, F3T, F4, F5, F6, D, D1, D2H, D2x, D3... and D3x is predicted do come out before the end of the year at the cost of $6K.

Aging of cameras is tied up to evolution of technology. Cameras are "technology" and just like any technology, age very rapidly. New, small cameras, usually don't last more than 1 year maximum. After 2 or 3 years, you can use them as a paper weight. You cannot even get them serviced. Of course, you can buy top of the line SLR for $8K. High-end SLR cameras age bit slower, but in 2-3 years are replaced with newer, more technologically advanced units.

Also, as a beginner-photographer, you should get inexpensive, manual camera, so you can learn how to manipulate with light and how to use all settings. More automatic features it will have - the less you will learn about photographic skills. You will learn that it is not the camera but "you" who makes pictures ( read: KenRockwell.com - there, you will find more information about the subject that you can imagine ) . Camera does not matter. As you progress in your skills, you will have more specific, and more realistic, idea, what you want in your next camera.

I still think I gave you very realistic, and friendly, answer to your question in my response #4. I think you misunderstood my comment.

Good Luck...
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

Jul 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Sorry. I guess I misunderstood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which camera to buy [ 3 Answers ]

I am signed up for a still photography class. I use a Canon A40 Powershot for work - I point the camera, press the button, it takes good photos. The instructor suggests a better camera - but he also said I could get a close up lens for the Canon. Any suggestions on what I should buy - or...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

Choosing a camera [ 2 Answers ]

I'm really interested in photography not as a profession just as a hobby.I capture pics of nature and I really don't know which camera I should choose from so many brands and models.

Kodak Camera [ 1 Answers ]

I've been using a kodak easy share camera for over a year and just received a new kodak easy share camera. Do I need to uninstall the software for the old camera before installing the software for the new camera?

View more questions Search