Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George818 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Repair ceiling sheetrock with loose insulation above?
    I'm trying to decide how to repair a 10'X12" bedroom ceiling sheet rock where by the center light fixture has dropped down about 2" to 3" due to a previous slow water drip (since repaired). I have removed some of the loose sheet rock by hand but there is approx 8" loose cellulose insulation above the whole ceiling between rafters which creates a mess as I remove the damaged portion. I do not see or smell mold or mildew on the sheet rock or the loose insulation. I'm wondering if I should I R/R the whole ceiling and insulation or just patch the center section 6'x6' & replace the insulation? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!
    RIKstackman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Mold is something I would mess around with.if there is any chance that mold could still be in the ceiling I would definitely replace it.once you replace the whole ceiling I think you would be glad you did anyway,just because it would look better.these are just my opinions,but I hope they help
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 15, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George818
    I'm trying to decide how to repair a 10'X12" bedroom ceiling sheet rock where by the center light fixture has dropped down about 2" to 3" due to a previous slow water drip (since repaired). I have removed some of the loose sheet rock by hand but there is approx 8" loose cellulose insulation above the whole ceiling between rafters which creates a mess as I remove the damaged portion. I do not see or smell mold or mildew on the sheet rock or the loose insulation. I'm wondering if I should I R/R the whole ceiling and insulation or just patch the center section 6'x6' & replace the insulation? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!
    If it were me... and there wasn't any evidence of mold growing in that space (you can usually tell by the color of the insulation and sheet rock), I would just replace an area a little larger than the damaged area. If you have to match a texture on the existing ceiling and you think that it might be a problem to "feather" the new texture into the old, without it showing, it would probably be better to do the whole ceiling.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 15, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Better to do it right than "patch". Take out as much as it takes, mess and all, to get to SOLID attachment to the rafters/joists. Then, replace insulation and sheetrock.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plaster Ceiling Repair [ 8 Answers ]

While working in the attic I fell between the rafters and cracked the plaster ceiling in the room below. The ceiling now sags between the rafters and I want to lift it up level and repair the cracks. Does anyone have a suggestion for raising the ceiling? Thanks for any ideas.

Sheetrock repair in shower [ 2 Answers ]

The part of my daughter's shower with the shower head is constantly in need of repair. Not sure if they spray it on the sheetrock or what, but this is the 3d time I've had to replace the rock. Is there an alternative replacement for sheetrock (i.e. finished plywood) or is sheetrock the best way...

Ceiling Repair [ 3 Answers ]

Does ones use just regular joint compound for repairing part of a roof? I have a spot about 18x30 that I had to replace in my bathroom roof. I accidentally stepped through it when in the attic a while back. I replaced the drywall and now need to get the roof textures to match. I am going to be...

Texturized Ceiling Repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have a texturized ceiling of my 30-yr-old home, which has never been painted. However, before I proceed to paint, will need to patch repair a small area where texture has been scraped off. Are there patch repair kits for a small repair like this without having to resort to buying a whole...

Ceiling drywall repair question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all and thank you in advance if you can help me. I am about to try to repair a 2 foot crack in my drywall ceiling. It was caused by someone( OK me) stepping on it from the attic. There is no hole or actual gap but the drywall was displaced slightly(has a bulge and has an incomplete...

View more questions Search