Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sigcopper Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Small flies in our house and can't get rid of them
    We have these small flies that seem to be attacked to our kitchen and bathrooms. They are bigger than fruit flies but smaller than the common fly. When you kill them they have blood in them. We don't allow food to be out and the dirty dishes are cleaned in the dishwasher. In the kitchen they hang on the ceiling and near the sink drain. They aren't attacked to apple cider vinegar since I've tried that. Coffee with sugar and milk attracks some. Any ideas short of opening the windows and freezing them out?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 5, 2009, 03:34 PM
    The possibility of some drain flies is the first thing that pops up. Do they look like these?

Image Search Results

Nov 5, 2009, 05:28 PM

They don't like the drain fly but they do hang out at the kitchen sink drain. I bought some fly traps but they don't seem to be interested in them.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 5, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sigcopper View Post
    They don't like the drain fly but they do hang out at the kitchen sink drain. I bought some fly traps but they don't seem to be interested in them.
    Can you post a picture? That would help us identify them. If not, click on this link for some steps in getting an I.D.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pest-c...es-343176.html

Nov 6, 2009, 07:14 AM

We were able to find the source of them. It was a bad piece of fruit that some how ended up in the cupboard. We tossed it out and cleaned up the shelf and the problem is going away. Thanks for your help!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 07:17 AM
    A glass of red wine on the counter will attract the leftover flies and voilą... your problem solved.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 07:21 AM
    So they were fruit flies after all, just well fed ones.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Potato's will attract them as well.

Nov 6, 2009, 07:29 AM

They were double the size of fruit flies that we have had in the past. Well fed is right. They looked just like small flies. It could have been a potato. We just tossed it and cleaned up.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sigcopper View Post
    They were double the size of fruit flies that we have had in the past. Well fed is right. They looked just like small flies. It could have been a potato. We just tossed it and cleaned up.
    One word - disinfectant

Nov 6, 2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks. Trust me. We did!
    ruzzel01 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Flies are annoying and a huge hassle. Thankfully, they are also something that is not too difficult to handle. Most people will have some fly problem. They easily fly into your home and then love to buzz about until you can swat at them.

Most of the time flies do not become a huge problem, but in some cases you may end up with more than you can swat away with the fly swatter. One thing you will want to do before even getting started on ridding your home of flies is to stop any more form getting in. You can do this by checking doors and windows. Make sure they are sealed and any holes are repaired. Also let family members know that doors and windows should be kept shut, unless they have a screen.

You should also be aware of what attracts flies into your home in the first place. They will be attracted to food items that are easy to get and to standing water. So, you need to get rid of these sources. Make sure all food is put away and tightly sealed. Do not leave food out at all. This includes things like bread or bananas which may keep on the counter. Also get rid of any standing water. Make sure you wipe off the sinks after use and always empty bath and dish water immediately.

Also keep these thoughts in mind about outside your home. IOf you have standing water or a garbage can near your home then they will attract flies that will likely get into your home.

--------
    Phoenix pest control
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Ruzzel, Linda, all of those are good suggestions for dealing with house and carrion flies, which were not what sigcopper was dealing with. Please keep those answers handy for questions about house or carrion flies.

Before confusion sets in, I am closing this question thread. Thank you for your input, please continue in pertinent threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flies in the house when ac on [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, For some reason, it seems that every time we turn on the air conditioning, our house becomes infested with flies. I guess it's possible that these flies are coming in when we open the door, but is it possible it's coming through the vents? Thanks.

Flies all over my house [ 9 Answers ]

For the past 3-4 months, I've got a huge fly problem! I don't know where they came from, or how I got them! They're smaller flies, but they look like regular flies. I've got fly strips hanging from my ceiling in every room! Real attractive! I catch about 25 flies on every strip each time! I...

Small flies in AC vents [ 1 Answers ]

I have what I think are fruit flies that fly between my central air vents in my family room and they are driving me crazy. At first I thought they were coming from fruit left out in the kitchen (which is adjacent and open to the family room) but despite putting all food away and cleaning my...

House flies in July [ 3 Answers ]

A few days ago I noticed a few flies in my kitchen window, which is on the west side of our house. We killed those and went to bed. The next day we had approximately 10 flies in the same area, I noticed some would fly across to the opposite side of the house in the morning to the sun. I assumed...

Flies in my House [ 2 Answers ]

When I have the a/c on we get a lot of flies in are down stairs kitchen sometimes they are on the inside window other times there in between the screen and glass part of the window. Now when we turn of the A/C the flies go away.Do you have any idea of how the flies are getting in the house with...

View more questions Search