Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pamelamb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Get electric shock when I touch kitchen cabinets
    My kitchen is pretty old. Fluorescent lights are built into (underneath) each of the metal cabinets.

Lately, and intermittently, I've noticed I get a shock when I either touch the counter beneath the cabinets or a cabinet door.

This was not happening when I bought the place and moved in 3 years ago.

Ultimately, I hope to gut and revamp the entire kitchen, but right now would be happy to get rid of the electric issue.

Can someone please tell me what the source of the problem might possibly be?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Most likely one the ballasts in one of the fluorescent fixtures is failing, ground faults from this type of fixture is common.

What this tells me is the fixture is not grounded properly, and now is energizing the metal cabinets.

Keep in mind, the other surface you are touching may be energized, and the fixture/cabinets may be grounded properly.

Best to shut off the breaker to these lights, or any other applaince that you have come in contact with, until you can get a qualifed electrician out to troubleshoot this issue.

While the shock you feel may not be enough to cause you harm, so far, one never knows if all conditions will be better the next time you touch this and receive a fatal shock.

Please get this looked at right away.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Another thought is a screw through metal cabinet into a live wire.
    An Electrician should measure voltage with a meter(one probe to a known good ground or neutral, and other to metal cabinet, then turn off light, if power goes out to meter with light, it is likely a Ballast, as TK mentioned, and may need to disconnect each ballast until voltage is gone to identify which fixture.
    If you turn off lights and it is still hot, they will probably remove Cabinet screws one at a time to locate problem and location of wire to repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hanging kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

What is the standard distance to have between lower and upper cabinets?

Kitchen Cabinets [ 7 Answers ]

Anything inside our home which relates to color or design or fashion is 99% left up to my wife. I don't object because I usually don't care and don't keep up with styles or color schemes, etc. etc. We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen by enlarging it by 110 sq ft. The allows room for...

Kitchen cabinets [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had experinece with THERMOFOIL kitchen cabinets? I saw some I like but I heard they could turn yellow over time if exposed to heat.

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

My 14 year old cherry kitchen cabinets are looking a little dull. The lip of the raised panel is looking grey, rather than the rich cherry color. I don't need to do a major refinishing job and I don't want to damage the wood, but would like to know if I should use fine steel wool , fine sandpaper...

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I want to paint my kitcen cabinets a light color (they are a verydark brown now)they have probably 4 coats of paint on them now I tried to strip them and was unsuccessful if I prime them and repaint them they will look terrible what should I do? I was considering maybe sanding but would really...

View more questions Search