Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmshoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Rid of black
    For about a year I have been gradually dying my hair darker. It has been black for about 3 months. It has faded some and my roots are growing in. I want to go back lighter but I'm not sure what the best method is. I'm not really sure what my natural color is, I've been dying it since high school, but from my roots, it's an ashy light brown. I would like to go back to a lighter brown with reddish tones. I used to use a brandy color that I would love to go back to. Any suggestions?
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

May 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Just take a look at your eyebrows and eyelashes that should tell you what your natural colour your hair is.
    You'll need to bleach out the dark dye. Also leave the bleach on till it's blonde. Then apply reddy brown on top when you've rinsed the bleach out.
    When bleaching and colouring hair you should start the application from the mid lengths to the ends then the roots.
    Of course it would be better if you get it done from a professional to avoid disasters at home.
    Kat18 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Don't do it at home!! That is, if you want healthy hair!! If you try to bleach it out at home, you are going to end up so much worse off.. bleach stops working after an hour, and with black hair (depending on the base tone, the darkest being blue) it won't usually go all the way to blonde within that hour. And it is most likely going to end up spotted depending on how even you distrubute the bleach through your hair. You are going to need to get it professionally taken out with a bleach from a salon with the right ph level for your hair, and the tone of black you have. Home bleaching kits are all the same and do different things to different hair. Going darker is easy.. going back lighter... whole different ball game. I recommend you get your hair stripped.. which is expensive.. or you can take the less expensive and longer road of getting it highlighted out of your hair over a period.. tenting the highlights the color you want them as you go.. it's difficult to get rid of black.. a lot more difficult than you may think.. good luck though!! Just plleeeaaassseee don't make the mistake of trying to do it at home!
    NoOneKnows1028 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2008, 01:17 PM
    The best method you could use it to have it professionally stripped. Stripping it might allow you to get it back to blonde, depending on how well your hair takes in color. Otherwise it will be taken to a light brown, and it will fade to a blonde. Bleaching your hair could result in strange color variations depending on the base color of the black dye you have been using. My sister tried to bleach out black, and it turned her hair first a green, then gray, and eventually went to orange. She decided to just let it grow out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pink and Black; Black and Pink 2 times is a charm [ 8 Answers ]

Any color combination, any time, its always a good time :)

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Black to blond [ 1 Answers ]

I know that there is millions of posts like this, I think I've read them all... but I'm still very confused. About 2 weeks ago I dyed my hair black and it was dark brown with pink highlights, so it would match my extensions. I took my extensions out a week ago and I'm thinking about Red hair....

View more questions Search