Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfdagon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Replacing Fuel shut off solenoid with bolt.
    I have been trying to get my Poulan riding mower started for about a week. Finally traced the problem to the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb. The wires going to the solenoid have power, but the solenoid does not work when the wires are pluged into it. Hooking the solenoid directly to the battery it will work fine. Both the battery and the solenoid wires have 12 volts, so I can't figure out why the solenoid will not work when wired.

After reading on the internet I decided to replace the solenoid with a bolt with the same thread pattern and install an in line fuel cut off valve to serve the same purpose. The only difference is that I have to remember to turn off the valve when the mowere is not in use. I don't think I will have a problem there. I plan to put a sticker on the key to remind me.

I installed the bolt and shut off valve and the mower started right up with no problem. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried it again just to be sure. I then checked the bolt to see if it was leaking. There was a very small drop of gassoline forming on the bolt head, but none had dripped down yet, so it has a very slow leak. When I installed the bolt I made a gasket by cutting a piece from a thermostat gasket. Apparently this was not good enough.

Could someone tell me what kind of gasket I could use here to stop this leak. Thanks.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 17, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Put the solenoid back in and snip the end that shuts off the fuel. It is done fairly often.

Don
    wolfdagon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
    I actually thought about that after I posted the question, but it good to have it confirmed by someone else. Thanks
    dayolall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 07:43 AM
    You can put some teflon tape on the bolt tread and put some silicone gasket
    dayolall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Where is the fuel shut off solenoid
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hi,
    If this a Briggs engine (ans it probably may be) then you can purchase the plug and gasket to replace the solenoid. Actually can for most Kohlers. One thing to remember is that you must consciously throttle down the engine for a moment before shutdown. Do not and you have a sheared flywheel key somewhere in your future.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the...

Fuel injecter or fuel pressure regulator ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 gmc sonoma (zr2 package) with a 4.3 motor (engine code W). I sometimes have problems getting it started, when the motor is warm it starts without any problem, but when it is cold I have a hard time getting it started, if I put gas or starting fluid down the throttle body it starts...

MTD Briggs 16.5 fuel solenoid [ 11 Answers ]

How can I determine if I have a bad fuel solenoid on my mower. Mower turns over great but will not start. Had fuel dump into the oil - changed it and dried out the valve cover and spark plug. Disconnected the kill wire on the coil. Gets spark when tested plug on head. Any other suggestions?

Foundation j bolt retrofit [ 4 Answers ]

House has never had any tie down j bolts on The mud sill. However concrete blocks are hollow and usually They fill down two blocks with mortar and place the J bolt in the wet mortar poking up through holes You bore in the mud sill. Can I cut out the face of the block on one web, Put the j...

View more questions Search