Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Franny4Kitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 07:12 AM
    New Kittens with no mother
    I recently found a batch of 5 new kittens abandoned by their mother in my backyard. Since then, I have taken them in. I think they are now about 8 days old or so. I bottle feed them cat formula, clean them and keep them in a heated kitty box. They eat very well I think, but I just can't tell if they are healthy and happy. I know its hard to be away from the mother at such a young age, but I felt obligated to take them in and now love having them around. Is there anything in particular I should be doing? Do they need to go to the vet at this point? Their eyes are starting to open but are very and get crusted shut all the time... is this normal at this point or do you think they have eye infections? I know this is a lot of questions, but I really want to make sure they are doing OK. Thanks!
    Kat18 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 08:51 AM
    You are doing an awesome job! When I was about 9 I raised 4 baby bunnies abandoned at birth the same way, and they all lived and grew up to be very healthy and strong. The crust in their eyes happens because they are being handled so much. It happened to my cats kittens when she started letting us play with them, the vet told us to dillute epsoms salt in warm water, and gently soak it and wipe until their eyes are clear. Its kind of important this early to keep the puss and crust out. It could cause problems with their sight if it's not attended to, but we never had any cats be effected in the long run. As they get older this will go away. When they start getting older you can start give them warm whole milk with Karoe syrup, it's also important they get enouph sugar since they aren't getting their mothers milk so they don't become hypoglycemic, but as long as the cat formula is actual cat formula, you should be okay.. just remember the syrup if formula starts getting expensive, (they love it, and it's cheaper) you are doing an awesome thing by taking this upon yourself!! It's worth the effort trust me! Good luck!
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

May 20, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Please do not ever give kittens or cats whole cows milk. They are not able to digest it.
    Only give replacement KMR kitten formula, or any other brand of kitten replacement formula.
    Here is a guide on how to hand raise orphaned kittens that is from the No Kill Animal shelter I volunteer with called Faithful Friends. It also helps you trouble shoot problems associated with hand raising them.

http://www.faithfulfriends.us/Resour...en%20Guide.pdf

Good Luck, and thank you for taking in these helpless babies. Please remember to have them all spayed and neutered before you adopt them out to help control over population.
    Your local no-kill animal shelter should be able to help you out with this and adopting them out to kind, loving, forever homes.
    pumpkin_cat Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2008, 11:14 AM
    If you haven't already I would take them to the vet, just to get them checked out for any disease. You want to catch it early before it gets worse! But I'm sure the kittens are happy and healthy! Sounds like you're doing a great job!
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 21, 2008, 12:39 PM
    I agree you should take them to the vet, but if that's too much expense, watch them carefully and maybe ask vet about eyes. I raised 3 kits in the same circumstances (kept one and a 2nd has returned to me). I lost one and almost lost a 2nd. I think the cause was blocked urinary. Stroking them after feeding, esp sides/belly, like burping a baby seemed to be the trick for saving that 2nd one.

I mixed a formula with white karo and powdered milk mixedw/water... damn, I seem to think there was a 3rd ingred... when I ran out of actual formula. I also got one of those 'good' bacteria supplements (comes in a syringe-like applicator but for the mouth, not injecting). But check your formula to see if it has this first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mother cat and her kittens [ 2 Answers ]

:) :rolleyes: Can we move a new mother cat and her first litter of kittens? They are less then 24 hours old But it is not safe outside . There is a stray cat who had kittens about 8 weeks ago and she is fighting with the new mother cat and Im afraid she will kill thes new kittens. HELP

How to a keep a mother cat from cry for kittens? [ 2 Answers ]

My roommate's cat had a litter about 6-7 weeks ago. Of the 4 born, 2 were picked out o be given away after weaning. Well, yesterday she gave them away and all night the mother cat's been meowing like mad, is there a good way to "calm her down"?

Kittens 2 weeks old mother PG? HELP [ 3 Answers ]

Recently our female cat had a litter of four kittens, they are two weeks and two days old when this happened. My male cat the father of these beauties went to the vet and was neutered and all four declaws removed because leather furniture coming he is three yrs. Old and I just would never part with...

Mother cat had kittens in a shed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.  I need some advice on what to do.  A strange cat started coming to our house, and we started feeding it.  Now it thinks this is it's home.  It kept coming back, and after a while we realized it was preagnant.  It started getting really fat, and then this morning when I saw it it was really...

View more questions Search