Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redrumx3 Posts: 62, Reputation: 15

Jan 16, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Why do my dogs follow my every move?
    I've tried researching a little, I've gotten two answers, one being they are trying to dominate, the other being the exact opposite, that they see me as the pack leader.

Here's the situation: My pit and my blue tick hound constantly follow me. The pit is male, about 6 and has ALWAYS followed me since we got him at 6 months. The blue tick hound is female, about 1 year and a half, and just the past couple months has started to do the same. They both sleep when I lay down, eat when I eat anything, etc. etc.

I have another, older, dog who is the lowest in their pack, she doesn't follow me but she does lay down in my room at night with the other two (I'm assuming this is to sleep with the pack).

I'm not complaining, I love the dogs dearly, I'm just wondering what exactly the behavior means :).

Thanks!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 16, 2010, 05:18 PM

Congratulations, you are the leader. :)

They are following your lead as a true pack does its leader. A couple of clues are that you are not complaining and they aren't fighting or trying to 'herd' you into doing what they want.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 07:32 PM

Yep I agree with Cat, you are the leader.

They wait to see what you do just as a wild dog would.
    When you eat, they know it's OK for them to eat.
    When you are playful, they are playful.

Just be careful it doesn't turn into a problem and they become totally dependent on you, this can cause separation anxiety if you leave them alone for any amount of time.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 16, 2010, 07:42 PM

As a human pack leader, you need to maintain order. If they start to pick on your older dog or the tall one gets jealous of the pit, human dominant behavior is normally to hold them by the scruff of their neck and look them in the eyes until they submit. Raising your voice is a challenge in a dominance situation, so be firm but don't yell. I have them sit to submit, as I don't give them enough slack to lay down. This is how their mother disciplined them, and they do remember.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

I can't move my left eye ball completely as I can move right so it looks bad [ 1 Answers ]

Doctor says musscle problem do u sugggest me... becose I'm actor

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move [ 2 Answers ]

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move

Follow Up on the Ex [ 7 Answers ]

We started talking regularly again about 2 months ago. I was involved in a very bad accident, and was hospitalized and in a coma. My sister text messaged everybody in my phone to inform them of my status and the Ex's number was still in there. When I came to she was one of the first people to call...

View more questions Search