Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacky1 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Friend with depression
    Hey, I'm new here and I don't think I saw any topics like this so sorry if there is already one.

Umm, I wanted to talk to someone about a friend of mine and I wasn't sure who to talk to and I came across this site one day so I thought I would try here. Well, I'm at college and my roommate and I are good friends and have been since high school. We talk about everything and she has been suffering from depression. It has gotten worse in the past couple of years. She has been going to doctors and tharapists and is on a bunch of medicines. There are times when she is fine and she is in a great mood but then there are days when she hits rock bottom. I don't really like talking about this because I feel like I'm telling everyone about her life even though I know no one knows me. Well, umm, she has hurt herself a few times because she feels like she isn't wanted in this world.

My problem and the reason I came to this site is because I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should do when she's is feeling like that. I feel useless and don't know what to do to make her feel better. I go for walks with her to be with her so she doesn't do anything else to herself and so we can get out of the room. If anyone had any suggestions that would be great. Thank you
    zipper82 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stacky1
    hey, im new here and i dont think i saw any topics like this so sorry if there is already one.

umm, i wanted to talk to someone about a friend of mine and i wasnt sure who to talk to and i came across this site one day so i thought i would try here. well, i'm at college and my roommate and i are good friends and have been since high school. we talk about everything and she has been suffering from depression. it has gotten worse in the past couple of years. she has been going to doctors and tharapists and is on a bunch of medicines. there are times when she is fine and she is in a great mood but then there are days when she hits rock bottom. i dont really like talking about this because i feel like im telling everyone about her life even though i know noone knows me. well, umm, she has hurt herself a few times because she feels like she isnt wanted in this world.

my problem and the reason i came to this site is because i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i should do when shes is feeling like that. i feel useless and dont know what to do to make her feel better. i go for walks with her to be with her so she doesnt do anything else to herself and so we can get out of the room. if anyone had any suggestions that would be great. thank you
    What is/are the reason for your friends depression? How often does she feel this way? What has she been diagnosed with?
    pinkface92 Posts: 21, Reputation: 5
    -

Oct 10, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Hey um I've dealt w/ depression before and the best thing for her is 2 stand by her no matter what. You are right about staying w/ her so she doesn't hurt herself. Let her know that you care and that she can come to you 4 problems. It always helps 2 know that someone cares and that you have somewhere 2 go when everything is wrong. And if she comes to you don't criticise her just listen and comfort her. Don't make her feel guilty ex(saying that it hurts u 2 c her her hurt herself), or criticise because that will only make her feel guilty and make things worse. So just be supportive of her no matter what happens. I wishu and your friend good luck. And I hope things get better!! : )
    Angel_Wings Posts: 105, Reputation: 13

Oct 10, 2007, 09:06 PM
    You could also try this website.
    It's Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

DBSAlliance.org Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

You'll find a forum for depression for bipolar
    For friends and family of those suffering with depression and BP
    As well as informational and community board

Hope this helps
    stacky1 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Hey thanks for the help. Last night she said she was going to go through with it :( but then I got back from class so she didn't. I feel horriable :( because I keep thinking, what if I hadent came back then. :( she would have used one of my cooking knives. Witch makes me feel worse. I took everything out of out room now that she could use so if she comes back then there's nothing to tempt her. Her and I talked to a friend of hers that had depression then she talked to her sister and we took her to the hospital last night. They transferred her to a haspital a couple of hours away this morning. She doesn't want to be there. Does anyone know how long people are usually in the hospital for this. I'm hoping to go visit her this weekend and see how's she's doing. Thanks for everyone's input.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 06:25 PM
    It sounds as though your friend may be Bipolar and not taking her medications properly.

I am sorry that your friend is hospitalized, but it really is the best thing for her. It may not seem like that, but it is.

She will most likely be in there for a minimum of 3 days. And, unfortunately, during this trial time, she may not be allowed visitors other than maybe, and that's a big MAYBE, family.

You see, during the crisis time, and that is where she is now, it is imperative that the therapists talk to her, get to know her and her feelings, etc without any outside influences.

I am truly sorry you are having to go through this, mental illness is not easy on anyone.

You know now, for anyone you meet in the future, that self-harming is one of the first symptoms of a suicidal personality.
    KaTsMeO Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
    I suggest a good 1/2 hour with Joel Osteen ! I am the same kind of person. I get depressed, and am on prozak, and ativan for anxiey attacks, which I rarely get but I'm prone to feeling like I don't belong, wanting to stay in bed and rather sleep than be awake... awful.

But every time I dvr or tivo a Joel Osteen, it's only 1/2 hour. It's all about HOPE and inspiration. It's not all hell and brimstone, he's great. Try it, let me know.

God bless you for sharing. I hope this helps. It helps me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend makes fun of friend [ 15 Answers ]

My friend is always asking why we never hang out anymore.. He tells people that I ignore him. Well is this a good reason? Every time I'm around him or I talk to him he always brings up one of my flaws. He always makes fun of me about it and jokes about it. All my life I was teased about this yet he...

Depression. [ 5 Answers ]

Ever Since I was 15 Years Old I had Depression. I would go see a Doctor all the time. I was always Down and Sad Feeling Hopeless with Just Everything in my Life. My Depression Would Come and Go For about Four Years Now. But Since my Twins were born ( 9 months ago) I have the worse Depression...

Extreme depression over best friend [ 1 Answers ]

This one is complicated. I felt I had to do something because I can't go on like this forever. I'm 19 (a guy) and I have a best buddy, who's 15, (I'm his bst buddy too) and recently, I've started to become a little possessive. I love him a lot, but he pissess me off so badly... gets drunk at my...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently been dumped by my longterm partner and have been seriously depressed since. I cannot manage to eat hardly anything, I'm tetchy, irritable, have difficulty sleeping, have nightmares when I do sleep, can't get up in the morning, and I have times when I can only cry, I usually end up...

View more questions Search