Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meg2464 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 AM
    Organic chemistry - emprical formula and molecular formula
    During the routine analysis of cool tar, a by product of the production of coke from coal, a colorless, oily liquid was isolated. Analysis reveled that it contained only carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen. When a 0.620g sample of the compound was in burnt in oxygen it produced 1.76g of carbon dioxide. A second sample of the compound of mass 0.232g was decomposed. This produced 29.5ml of nitrogen gas measured at 15 degree Celsius and 101.3kPa pressure. Another sample of th ecompound was vapourised and at 100 degrees celsius and 101.3 kPa pressure was found to have a density of 3.04g/L-1. the unknown compound was found to undergo substitution reactions with bromine and exhibit basic properties in aqueous solution.
    a) determine the empirical formula
    b) Determine the molecular formula
    c) Draw the structural formula for the compound
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2012, 05:53 AM
    And you question is ?
    Meg2464 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 05:58 AM
    How to figure out the empirical formula and molecular formula
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2012, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2464 View Post
    how to figure out the empirical formula and molecular formula
    We have a policy about homework questions. You have to show us you have tried to do the homework question before anyone will assist you here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the molecular formula of sucrose [ 6 Answers ]

What is the molecular formula of sucrose?

Molecular formula [ 3 Answers ]

after the combustion of 0.4 moles of organic substance results 32.4 g H2O, 4.756 L N2 at 290 K and 1 atm and a quantity of CO2 contained in 240 g solution of NaOH, concentration 40%. Which is the molecular formula of the organic substance? a) C3H9N b) C6H6N c) C3H7N what I did: PV = nRT...

Chemistry- Formula Of A Compound [ 3 Answers ]

What is the formula for copper (II) sulfide? And why? Same with lead (II) bromide? I don't understand this and I'm getting different answers everywhere I turn.

What is the molecular formula of the compound? [ 1 Answers ]

A compound used in glue has a composition of 54.5% C, 9.1% H, and 36.4% O. At 100 degrees Celsius and 1.00 atm, the compound is a gas and 0.345 g occupies a volume of 120.0 ml. What is the molecular formula of the compound?

View more questions Search