Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amery2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2011, 03:42 PM
    My daughters won't talk to me.
    My two daughters age 17 and 20.. won't speak to me. I left their dad and have started a new life. They don't know why I did it, he has told them that I cheated. I did have an affair, yet it was after I had already made the decision to leave. I was very unhappy for years. I assume they think I am a piece of ****. How do I tell them he was a horrible husband, without belittling him. To their face.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2011, 04:08 PM
    Unfortunately all you can do is explain how YOU feel, and they will form their own opinions. Sometimes it can be a different opinion. But they WILL have their own opinions, and you can't change that.

I am sorry you are in this situation. It must be very hard. All you can do is hope for them to understand, if not now, then some day.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amery2011 View Post
    my two daughters age 17 and 20.. wont speak to me. I left their dad and have started a new life. they don't know why i did it, he has told them that I cheated. I did have an affair, yet it was after i had already made the decision to leave. I was very unhappy for years. I assume they think i am a piece of ****. how do i tell them he was a horrible husband, without belittling him. to their face.
    Bad position to be in, unfortunately they are l7 and 20 with no undersanding (I am sure, just assuming really) of human emotions in a situation like this.

Why do you feel bad about belittling him? Okay, one can say turn the other cheek but you have two daughters here who probably hear constantly, when they ask, or when the issue comes up, that you are as you say a piece of**. When you think of it, amery, where does he get off saying that about you. You both obviously had trouble in the marriage or you would still be together, and why does he still have your daughtes living with him ?

Get your kids together (no not with their dad) and have a good mom and daughters chat with them, I believe tears will be shed, because they would really need you at l7 and 20 and still love you so much. Just the three of you make an effort to get together and sort everything out no matter how long it takes to do it.

Just put your foot down and think of the damage he is doing, which may be irreparable in the next few years when they marry and have children of their own.

Tick
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amery2011 View Post
    my two daughters age 17 and 20.. wont speak to me. I left their dad and have started a new life. they don't know why i did it, he has told them that I cheated. I did have an affair, yet it was after i had already made the decision to leave. I was very unhappy for years. I assume they think i am a piece of ****. how do i tell them he was a horrible husband, without belittling him. to their face.

If I read you right, you were still living with your husband and children when you had an affair. Justifying that by saying you had already decided to leave, doesn't make it any less than cheating.

If you were unhappy for years, I'm curious why you stayed so long, and whether you tried with your husband to salvage the marriage through counselling.

What made him a horrible husband, and why was this not apparent to your daughters. Was he also a horrible father as well? When you left to start a new life, why did you leave your daughters behind, and/or why did your husband not leave the house instead of you.

From what you have written so far, I don't see this necessarily as you having to explain how horrible your girls' father was, as it is a situation that you have to hope they eventually understand your behaviour.

They too were abandoned, when you decided to leave. Abandonment for them, and the end of the family as it was, and parents splitting up, is a lot to deal with, without the truth.

Is there more to this story, or do you really see yourself as a victim here.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
    I think she moved out, but the girls are living with dad. I'm also wondering if this is a pity party. It sounds like OP made a mistake, and is paying for that mistake, and is trying to blame everyone but herself
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
    spitvenom finds this helpful : I always love reading your answers!!
    Aww thanks :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughters who won't talk to their mom [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter won't speak to me,, got into real bad place in my life when she was young and abused her with very hard discipline,, apologized in depth several times, asked God's forgiveness, and find it very hard to forgive myself,{I am supposed to but hard} can't begin to fix things with my grown...

Daughters refuse to see or talk to me [ 1 Answers ]

A few weeks ago I asked my 17 year ols daughter if I could borrow her mobile handset as mine was broke, she said yes and give it to me the next day, I was looking throughsttings etc when I came across 11 voice recordings, curious as to what they where I listened to them, to my horror she had...

I loved my Daughters boyfriend as a Son, Now he won't talk to me [ 16 Answers ]

I know that this is not normal but my daughters boyfriend just melted my heart and I feel for him. As a son, they dated for a year and a half in that time he was part of our family. Family vacations if he needed anything I got it for him. I would sit and talk to him and give him life advise...

View more questions Search