Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    palattys Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 11:33 PM
    Dealing with an abusive son?
    I have a little brother he is 17 years old. He is abusive to my mom emotionally and has been physically abusive to her in the past. She fears him. My little brother needs to move out so my mom can be at peace, but he is only 17 years old. I don't know what to do? I need some advice. Please. Thanks.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2011, 02:51 AM

Can you talk to your Dad about this?

A school counsellor?

Your pastor?

Your family needs help,please talk to a responsible adult about this.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 22, 2011, 05:41 AM
    I agree that it is a good idea for you to speak to another adult, about the emotional and physical abuse taking place in your home.

If he weren't your brother, but instead your father, or your mother's boyfriend, and he was beating on your mother, I would encourage you to call the police. Nobody should be beating anybody up in other words, and the behaviour left unchecked.

You don't say whether you are living at home, I'm presuming you are, or how old you are. Or how old your mother is. Elder abuse comes to mind. He is probably abusing her to get money, or the use of the car, etc.

He's not so 'little' at 17 to not know exactly what he's doing. By you remaining quiet, this situation will not improve for your mothers' health and safety.

Your mother may not be strong enough to help herself, or realize there are resources she can use to put an end to the abuse, but you would be wise (depending on your age), to see what can be done, and what you can do to help her. There are many resources that deal with abuse, and can guide you.

Remaining silent, will not stop what is going on.

Jun 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
    I'm 19. I'm not in school so I don't have counselor. I talk to my Dad about it but it doesn't do any good because my parents are divorced and my brothers and I live with my Mom. My mother is 50 years old. My brother has a short temper. Last night he said some terrible things to my mom, and he was threatening to beat her.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2011, 12:59 PM

Is your mother afraid of your brother? How does she react when he talks to her this way?

Jun 22, 2011, 01:59 PM
    When he starts threatening her she gets quiet and hides in her room. Is their a phone number I can call. I don't know what to do. I feel like it's getting worse and worse. He's threatened to kill her. PLease anyone, I need to do something.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2011, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by palattys View Post
    When he starts threatening her she gets quiet and hides in her room. Is their a phone number I can call. I don't know what to do. I feel like it's getting worse and worse. He's threatened to kill her. PLease anyone, I need to do something.
    Since she isn't an "elder," I won't give you the elder abuse hot line. Instead, use this one --

National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233)

If they can't listen and help, ask them for a more appropriate number to call. They should have a list. Or post again here.
    Hailie Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
    To Be Honest That Is Not Very Nice Because Your Mother Does Everything To Take Care And Look After You..
    And You Seriously Need Help , So I Agree With Above ^^^.. But Tell Your Brother That It Isn't Nice And That Your Mother Is Very Frightend And Make Him Understand You So He Don't Fear Your Mum Because Mums Are The World To You , Aren't They?! I'm Dealing With My Twin(Boy) Who Swor At My Mum Yestarday Night In front Of My 12half Sister And My 1yr Old Sister Was Asleep.. And He Started To Threat And Abusing Her In front Of My Dad And My Brother Just Slammed The Living Room Door And Ran To He's Room I Ran To Mine And My Sister Came To My Room... My Mum Was Really Hurt And Had A Shock So I Don't Know What To-Do...

I Didn't Help But Like It's the Same Thing Right ? Wrong? :(

Jun 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
    THank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 12:44 AM

Take care and I hope it works out for you.
    Hailie Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Yeah No Problem I Love Helping Out And Good Luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with 22 yr old son [ 4 Answers ]

My son is constantly failing in exams ,he has already repeated 2yrs and now he is leaving studies ,he has not beable to complete his graduation .How should I help him

Dealing with an abusive adult child [ 58 Answers ]

My daughter is 20 yrs old. I was divorced from her mother for 3 years. I'm recently re-married. My daughter is very manipulative and has caused major damage towards my wife and new family. She wants me to leave my wife so that she can control me the way her mother did for 20 years in a very abusive...

View more questions Search