Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnorswor Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Bad check
    It is now 2006, back in 200) wrote a bad check for 63.43 in MA. I just found out that there is a warrant out for my arrest. What do I need to do? I no longer live in MA and haven't for 6 years.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Did you deliberately bounce the check? Did you ever make restitution? If you haven't made restitution, I would contact the MA Attorney General's office offering restitution and asking how you can make the warrant go away.

Nov 22, 2006, 08:59 AM
    No I thought there was enough funds in the account. I moved to another state shortly. I paid off all the debt the was on my credit report over 4 years ago and this was not on there. Does anyone know what the max is for this? Will I have to go to jail?

Nov 22, 2006, 09:00 AM
    What was the check for? Payment on one of those debts that have been cleared up? What happened when the bank or the creditor notified you that the check went NSF?

Nov 22, 2006, 09:03 AM
    The check was at a Shaw's in fall river for 63.43 in 2000. The debt I paid off was for not paying 2 credit cards. This happened after when I moved I didn't work for 11 months. Now I'm a programmer and make more then enough to pay any restitution they give me.

Nov 22, 2006, 09:05 AM
    You keep dodging around the question. What happened when you were informed the check was NSF?

Nov 22, 2006, 09:08 AM
    I did nothing. My fiancé at the time was on the account also and the mail went to her. The only thing that I found out was from my bank a couple of years later when I had a - balance on it.

Nov 22, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Sorry I did not mean to skate around the question. I never paid it still haven't

Nov 22, 2006, 09:24 AM
    So, you wrote a check, it bounced. You never contacted the payee to reimburse the check. So the payee pressed charges and a warrant was issued. I'm not in the least surprised. I'd ask why you did nothing, but the answer is moot. Contact the Mass AG offer to reimbursement the amount including any NSF fees and ask what else needs to be done to clear your record.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Hello tn:

You have three choices: 1) Hire an attorney to negotiate for you, 2) get on the horn and negotiate yourself, or 3) do nothing and wait for the man... He'll be there.

excon

Nov 22, 2006, 09:47 AM
    I plan on taking care of it this afternoon. I'll call Mass AG and see what they can do to help if needed I'll get an Attorney. As for why I would say I was stupid or I didn't have the money at the time, to tell you the truth I don't remember why I didn't pay it. I thank you for the advice and will post what happens.
    donna1234 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tnorswor
    It is now 2006, back in 200) wrote a bad check for 63.43 in MA. I just found out that there is a warrent out for my arrest. What do I need to do? I no longer live in MA and havn't for 6 years.
    Call the courts and find out if you can take care of it.you can do time for a bad check.

Nov 22, 2006, 10:32 AM
    I call the AG office and they told me to call the court. I have already called the court and they are not telling me what I need to do. Is my only choice a attorney?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Public servants hard at work, gives the public the run-a-round. Call the court back, ask for the case # and address to mail the moneyto. If they refuse, ask them if the are refusing payment. If they refuse follow up with a letter of default that they refuse payment and the matter is on closed.

Don't forget to ask for the person name you spoke to.

They will tell you what information youneed.
    wanger Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 11:11 AM
    It is now 2006, back in 200) wrote a bad check for 63.43 in MA. I just found out that there is a warrent out for my arrest. What do I need to do? I no longer live in MA and havn't for 6 years.
    Contact the person's you wrote the check to and let them know that you did not know the check had bounced and that you no longer live there. See if they will let you send them a postal money order for the check and will drop the warrant. You could also contact the magestraite (I think I misspelled that) in that area and ask them how to handle it. It can't hurt to try.

Nov 22, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wanger
    Contact the person's you wrote the check to and let them know that you did not know the check had bounced and that you no longer live there. See if they will let you send them a postal money order for the check and will drop the warrant. You could also contact the magestraite (I think I mispelled that) in that area and ask them how to handle it. It can't hurt to try.
    I can't seem to find a magestraite in MA.

Nov 22, 2006, 11:38 AM
    I can't seem to find a magestraite in MA.
    I found it the number that it gives is the number called to get the info the first time.
    wanger Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 12:43 PM
    I found it the number that it gives is the number called to get the info the first time.
    I hope it works out for you. Good luck.:D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 03:00 PM
    The check was at a Shaw's in fall river for 63.43 in 2000.
    Hello again, tn:

You know who you wrote the check to. You want to call everybody but them. Why? They're the ones you need to talk to. If they tell you they turned it over to the police, ask them the name of the cop, and the name of the prosecutor. Ask them if they'll take a payment from you anyway, and drop the charges. If they don't, talk to their supervisor, and then keep going. Call their legal department. DO something!

You can also GO to the courthouse and look the case up. The clerk won't stop you. The name of the prosecutor is written right there.

Where did you hear that you had a warrant? Follow that trail backwards, and talk to whoever is at the end of that trail. Talk to their supervisor, and then talk to their supervisor.

excon
    donna1234 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 11:28 PM
    You No In My County You Can Go On Line And Go To Are Court House And Put In A Person Name And It Will Give You All The Information You Need Even The Warrant Information.so You May Want To Go On The Internet And Go To The Court House Where This Warrant Is And See If It Will Give You That Information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Can't check disk [ 9 Answers ]

Hiya all Wonder if someone can help. Got a notebook from work, tried to do a check disk, but, it gets to the last stage (5) then warns me that windows has had to be shut down before any irepareable damage is done to my O/S. I have to manually shut it down, start up in safe mode and then go to the...

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?

Check this out here [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.msftlabrat.com/funstuff/jingle.wmv

View more questions Search