Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fergie09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Am I overfeeding my baby
    My baby is 3mth old and he seems to be always hungry. Everyone keeps telling me he is too fat and is eating too much. He eats a cereal bottle of the morning with some baby food added in. He acts like he is hungry again in about 4 hr. I have been feeding him every 6 since I started the baby food but he still acts hungry all the time. Should I feed him when I think he is hungry or should I stick to the every 6 hr. I am tired of being told my baby is too fat?? :(
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 07:18 PM

You can't over feed a baby. A baby is hungery when he is hungry. An infant doesn't know the meaning of 'greedy' or 'gluttony'

I'm sorry people are telling you your baby is too fat. Lots of baby's are chubby. If your sons pediatrition is not worried, then you should not be worried.

If you are truly concerned, talk to your pediatrition about it. He can answer all your questions. Baby's eat a lot. Its just the way they are. If your child was eating this much and NOT gaining weight, THAT could be a problem. But he sounds like a perfectly happy and healthy child.

I'm sorry to say, sometimes there is no way to make people be quiet about rude comments like this. The best way is to simply say 'his pediatrition is perfectly happy with my sons health, so I am not worried'
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 08:00 PM

How much does he weigh and how many inches is he?

What does the doctor say?
    Maybe ask the doctor how much of cereal he should be eating a day.
    Like maybe he is getting too much cereal
    Most every doctor says you shouldn't start babies on baby food before 6 months maybe that is the problem?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:33 PM

Fergi09? We can't help you if you dotn come back and answer nohelp4u's questions.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:38 PM

As long as your doc has no problems with your child's weight it is no problem... if it is a problem he will let you know. In the past-6 -7 years there were studies that speculated the risk of feeding solids to a child under 4 months as well as cereals, stating they think there is a direct link between these feedings and food allergies. Don't know if it still holds true. Something to think about and discuss with your doc.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:52 PM

My sisters baby was 30 inches and 30 pounds at 6 months old and he turned out fine. Kind of a stocky build but not all that over weight.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:59 PM

My son is almost 61/2 is 44 inches long and 44 lbs. but healthy. Someday he will have a growth spurt and gain some weight.

We just gave to love what G-D gave us and just be thankfully that they are healthy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    you can't over feed a baby. a baby is hungery when he is hungry. an infant doesnt know the meaning of 'greedy' or 'gluttony'
    You can absolutely overfeed a baby!! Babies cry for numerous reasons, just one is hunger. Overfeeding is a primary cause for type I diabetes.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 07:23 PM

Oh, my daughters pediatrition said you can't over feed a baby that young, and that they would stop eating on their own..
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 07:28 PM

I know my grandbaby will pucker his lips and refuse to take one more bite when he is full
    But they also say they found a gene that some people do not have that tells you when you are full. If you don't have this gene then you don't stop eating because you never feel full.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 07:30 PM

Miss pepsie. Nowadays feelings have changed. It used to be thought that to feed the baby on demand is necessary for the health of the child. But with the recent onslaught (especially americans) of young children with diabetes and obesity we must play a role in guiding our children in a life of proper nutrition.

Sometimes babies learn to self sooth using food and this becomes a lifelong habit. She needs to discuss this with her dr.

Furthermore if someone comments on her baby she should say to them mind there own business or don't engage these people in conversation.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 09:08 PM

Ooh I see.

OK then, my apologies. Forget I said that. Definitely listen to J_9 as she is not getting her information second hand, she is the FIRST HAND.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Jul 12, 2009, 03:59 AM

Why is this 3mo on cereal already?? Is that doctor approved? Babies are hungry when they are hungry. TYPICALLY, not always, every 3-5 hours. He'll eat until he's full. After that a small nap probably. Then lots of face time. Stimulation and talking, baths, changings, books, toys play. Then eat again. That's the life of a baby...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ooh baby baby? The song/beat Timberland copied [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for taking time on this, I've been trying to search for the name of the song that Timbaland remade, I can't seem to find any answers anywhere, Its like the songs been erased from existence. It was an old school American techno rap beat with ladies singing "Ooh baby baby" If...

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

View more questions Search