Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robotickim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 12:03 AM
    HIPAA violation, invasion of privacy, slander, etc.
    At Seton Medical in Daly City, I was treated the most disrespectfully and horribly ever in my life. They didn't listed to anything I said. This was alll after I disclosed me history of drug use, I have beenh clean for over ten years, but they wouldn't believe a word from my after hearing this. They yelled at me and wouldn't explan anything. In any case, I check myself out, at which point, without consent, they send a "report" to tmy PC physician which was slanderous and untrue stating that I was using again, etc. I was so ashamed that It has once again scard my to seek medical attention. I am wondering if there is a way to go after them for disclkosing iformation without my permission. Let me know.
    Sincerely,
    Kim Garman
    Thank you for your time and consideration. Kim.:mad: :) :eek:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2007, 01:42 AM
    You need to check what you signed. Its possible that when you checked in for treatment, you authorized them to send a report to your primary care physician.

However, that report needs to be accurate. And if there are any falsehoods on it, you certainly have a case against them. The problem is proving you were damaged by the falsehoods in the report. I would seek a consultation with an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 07:43 AM
    One medical professional can share medical info with another without signed conscents, And if from your behavior you appeared to be using it is not slander.

The brouble is that you most likely left without being treated or completely examimed.

I would say there has to be alow more to this than you are tellling us.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 10, 2007, 06:14 AM
    I tend to agree with Scott. You very likely could have signed consent forms that allow disclosure to other parties.

However, you should know that it is not wrong to send reports to your PCP. In fact, its expected that whenever you are treated anywhere, that information is forwarded to your primary doctor for future reference. This is common practice and does not require a consent from you.

If you believe the information provided could be false and you can prove otherwise, your only real course of action would be to contact a lawyer.
    str82hell Posts: 30, Reputation: 5

Oct 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Most ER consent to treat forms have a clause allowing for disclosure for "continuation of treatment". I understand that sometimes they can go off on a tangent and be totally stupid. I had a doctor do that to me recently (or should I say a resident). Anyway it's probably not a HIPPA violation. However, I would go talk to your primary and explain exactly what went on. The hard part is that you need to explain it calmly and rationally.

It you think you can't do this, write him/her a letter. Explain it all that way. If the doctor opts to pursue the "mistreatment" (many or quite protective of their patients due to their own liability) then he may ask to forward that to administration with his own statement.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a manager mentions a health issue that an employee had before (cancer) to another employee or accuses the employee who had the illness that the former illness is effecting her judgement at work, is that a HIPAA violation? If not, is it a law violation. If yes, which one and is there a remedy...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

Invasion of privacy? [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone is in the legal field maybe you can help. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about INVASION OF PRIVACY. A person has hired a private investorgator on me took all these photos hacked into my email and is now threating me with them. She's saying she's going to send all these privaite...

Invasion of privacy? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know if installing a web cam in a bar with no notification to the public that it is there constitutes an invasion of privacy? If so, what needs to be done to allow the bar to install said web cam? Thanks,

View more questions Search