Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
    My stepfather wants to adopt me, what are some pros and cons in the legal system?
    I am a 20 year old step-daughter, and my mom and step-dad want for him to adopt me. My mothers health is not good (she has Hep C and other liver problems) and in all reality, she probably does not have much time left.
    Call it paranoia, but I would like to know the legal differences of this action. Especially when it concerns wills, inheritance, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 03:37 AM
    Your step father can write you in his will to inherit whatever he wants you to inherit. He can make you executor of his estate, you can inherit property and/or monies, etc.

Does he have natural heirs, such as children from a previous marriage/relationship? Or other relatives that would surface after his death? If he did adopt you, you would have some legal protection as an heir, should he die without a will.

My advice would be for him to make out a will. Wills are not a document set in stone forever - they can be amended by him. But it is an important document for him to create, with an attorney. Does your Mother have a will?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pros & Cons. [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone Please help me with this question: I am considering the nursing field. Please remember that I am asking as an outsider looking in: ADVANTAGES 1) I think this field will continue to grow so job demand should be good. 2) Flexible schedule (I think) 3) Opportunities for travel (I...

Teacher Uniforms Pros and Cons [ 8 Answers ]

I would like for the teachers at our school to wear uniforms. I'm not as concerned about students wearing uniforms because that is whole another topic. I want to know if anyone knows of a school that has uniforms for the teachers to wear? If so, how is that working and what are the pros and...

DirecTv Pros and Cons [ 5 Answers ]

I switched from Dishnetwork who I was a customer with for almost 4 years to DirecTv a few months ago. I was fed up with the constant technical problems from DishNet and they didn't want to fix anything. I like DirecTv so far because they own the equipment so if anything breaks, then they are...

Pros/cons of diet pills [ 2 Answers ]

There are so many different kinds of diet pills out there. I want to loose wieght, but want to do it safely and effectivley. Do diet pills really work, are they dangerous, and are there any side-effects? What pills should I avoid, and which ones really work?

Lexapro Pros & Cons [ 2 Answers ]

I just started on Lexicon yesterday and am interested in hearing other user's comments concerning any/all side effects and are they worth living with. Thanks f:confused: or any/all feedback

View more questions Search