Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keetyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
    Stepfather wants to adopt
    My wife and I have three children, two of which are from a previous relationship she had before our relationship began. I have been a father to these beautiful children for 12 and 11 years. Their biological father walked out of their lives when they were 4 months and 1years old, and he has never paid child support or visited them, never caring about their well being in life. I live in New Orleans LA and want to adopt them and give them my last name. Do we have to contact the birth father in order for me to adopt them? Can I sign the birth certificate without going through all of the red tape and court proceedings, he didn't want to sign? The children do not know that I am not their biological father, and it hurts me that I am not, please help. I love these children dearly, and don't want anything hindering our relationship in the future. Thanks!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Sorry, but to formally adopt them you HAVE to go through Family Court. And you cannot adopt without at least trying to get the bio father to relinquish his rights.

I'm confused by one thing here, you said; "The children do not know that I am not their biological father" If they don't have your name then how can they not know that?

And no you can't change the because without the approval of a court.

I'm also bothered by this statement; "and it hurts me that I am not (their bio father)". Why should that hurt you? Being a father is about caring for the children, its NOT about biology. Winess the fact that their bio father is not a father to them. You have, apparently, loved and parented these kids for almost of their lives. That is what makes you their father. By this age, they NEED to be told that you aren't their bio father. If you lie to them about this, it will make matters worse. You have proven your love for them and they will accept that.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 08:30 AM
    You'll have to contact the birth father, or at least make a good faith attempt to do so. If you manage to contact him he'll have to give his consent before the adoption can proceed. If you can't locate him then the adoption can proceed without his consent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my husband adopt [ 1 Answers ]

I have an eight year old he has never met his dad. I have given him the opportunity to meet his son and he will not. He is paying child support, but does not want to meet my son. If I can get him to sign over his rights (which I know he will) Could my husband adopt him?

What should I do to adopt HDTV? [ 5 Answers ]

I've heard that I will be forced to buy an HD television under federal law? Is that true? What should I do about that? Should I buy some sort of converter? Should I wait until the last minute for prices of stuff to fall? There is a LOT of information about this online, but it's too much,...

Want to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

What would to necessary steps be to adopting a 26 illegal immigrant. He has a tax ID number and has never been in troulble with the law and has been paying taxes for three years. Hes a great man I would like to help... Any ideas!!

Stepfather hurts my son [ 8 Answers ]

Should I get a divorce if my husband got into a physical fight with my son. I want to protect my kids. I am having a lot of mixed feelings, I don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice. My son took some things and is now at a friends house, he says that he in not coming back until he is...

Looking to adopt... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Interested in finding information regarding domestic and international adoptions in Massachusetts. Do anyone have any recommendations on where to start? Thanks, Remodel

View more questions Search