Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gbw69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Long distance father needs to relate to his 2 year old son
    Hi,
    I last saw my boy when he turned 1. Now he's 2 and a bit and he is starting to talk.
    I'm very excited about this cause this gives me the opportunity to try and communicate with him.
    Anyone who knows a 2year old knows they don't make much sense :o . let alone trying to talk to him over skype.

So...the mother of all questions is...how can i try to communicate with him? his mom says he asks to talk to me, but we don't say much when we are online.

any ideas?:confused:
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Oct 29, 2007, 08:40 AM
    2 year olds find it difficult holding a conversations they can say a couple of words. Does he have phone like device or does he have the head phone mic. If he has the head phone mic tell mom to get the unit that is a phone... this may help.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Oct 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Try to find out from mom what cartoons he likes or what book is his fave. Maybe buy two of the same book and mail him one. When he comes online read it to him he can look at his copy while you read from yours. Something like Goodnight Moon might be good; its short and has colorful pictures. Or watch the same thing on TV and say things like... did you see that or wow that was neat. Let him say things and you comment, even if you don't understand what he said.

Maybe try several different times during the day instead of one longer time at night when he is tired. My oldest at two was talking on the phone for more than 15 minutes at a time before he moved on to something different, you couldn't understand some of the words, but he would talk to you. My youngest wouldn't even hold the phone for more than two or three minutes and didn't really say too much until he was older. I guess it depends on the child. Mine are older now and love to vidtalk to their uncle in Iraq. Its through Yahoo, others too I'm sure, but the camera and mic are all on the comp so there's no real fuss and they can see him -- maybe you could look into that too.

Its great that you are doing this. Keep it up.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gbw69
    Hi,
    I last saw my boy when he turned 1. Now he's 2 and a bit and he is starting to talk.
    I'm very excited about this cause this gives me the opportunity to try and communicate with him.
    Anyone who knows a 2year old knows they don't make much sense :o . let alone trying to talk to him over skype.

So...the mother of all questions is...how can i try to communicate with him? his mom says he asks to talk to me, but we don't say much when we are online.

any ideas?:confused:
    Get a camcorder or something that takes videos.
    Make videos of where you are and let someone take some of you too,maybe working(or whatever you are doing so far away).

I have a 2 year old and I know she remembers people from the news if she sees them more than once.

Video things he might like,maybe animals,parks,water(lakes,sea etc),fish.Visit as many places as you can and keep making short snippets which you can send over a week or months time.Let your wife make some of your son too so that you can watch him grow.
    gbw69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Wow! thanks for a great response...:D

I should've mentioned that i use a webcam and a headset.:o

I'll give the camcorder idea a try, i think it would be fun to do something for him.
    Would he not be somewhat influenced by what i show him, for instance, if i was send him a clip of me riding a dirt bike or something? I don't want to disturb the delicate environment his mother created. I know the little ones picks up things quickly...
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gbw69
    Wow! thanks for a great response...:D

I should've mentioned that i use a webcam and a headset.:o

I'll give the camcorder idea a try, i think it would be fun to do something for him.
    Would he not be somewhat influenced by what i show him, for instance, if i was send him a clip of me riding a dirt bike or something? I don't want to disturb the delicate environment his mother created. I know the little ones picks up things quickly...
    Try getting clips from where you are, which will seem important to a little guy.

Ask the mother what your son will want to see, I am sure she will know where his interests are.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Oct 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Since you use a web cam I would definitely take CJ's advice and buy two copies of some books, send him one and read book with him while you two are on. Conversations are really limited with a two year old but you can read to him and spend time together that way. Not only just reading to him but ask him to point to objects on the pages. He can learn a lot by trying to point to the colors or objects and spend great time with you. Have fun.

Just as a side note... you sound like a great, caring, considerate father who really thinks of the important things for his child. I wish there were a lot more of you out there. Great for your son and keep up the great work!
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Oct 30, 2007, 09:15 PM
    At two years old I think your best bet to communicate would be via a web-cam. Then he could see you and speak to you. You could read each other's facial expressions and he could learn to identify you not just by voice, but by sight recognition. If it is within you and the mom's budget, I think that would be the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GrandParenting, Son & Daughter In Law LONG DISTANCE [ 4 Answers ]

I just learned from my daughter in law that she is pregnant. My son just began a new job as a result of his graduating from college with a PhD. My daughter in law has a daughter from a previous relationship, whom I love dearly and miss dearly. My son and his family live 24 hours away. I am so...

Long distance [ 8 Answers ]

Well I met this guy on myspace He lives in NC and I live in NY We talk pretty often and just started texting each other He is supposed to call me tonight. If he does should I talk to him? Then should I continue and see what happens?

My 11 year old son wants to be emancipated from his father, at what age can he do so? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a single mother of 2. My sons father and I are not together. Since his father's marriage to his step-mother (approx. 3 years ago), my son and I have had nothing but problems. In and out of court and lots of arguments. My son never having a good relationship with his father, is now being...

10 year old son doesn't want me to leave his abusive father [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in an abusive marriage for ten years. . I have made the decision to leave my husband. I have three wonderful children, whom I have talked to about the upcoming separation. My two young girls seemed to handle it well. My 10 year old son , however, is having a difficult time with this. He...

Help after long distance [ 1 Answers ]

I desperatly need some advice. Im a 24 year old guy and I'm feeling really confused right now. I was in a relationship for 6 years with my last girlfriend, things were great but half way into it I really started to doubt my love for her. My parents were going through a really bad patch at the...

View more questions Search