Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Aug 18, 2007, 02:05 AM
    My church is renting their manse to a promiscuous woman?
    I have been a Christian for three years now, after coming out of a cult. I joined and am attending the Presbyterian church of my ancestors... this is the question I have. Our current pastor is not using the manse (place where the pastor could live) and is being rented out.

My aunt has lived next door to this manse since 1943... she says that whenever a pastor is not living there that the church rents it to anyone whom can be current on paying the rent. My aunt has stated that quite a few single woman, some with children have had "live in boyfriends" over the years. The current single mother has "several" boyfriends... the one that pays her rent is in the military service and only comes every third weekend... I am sure he does not know about her other "men" whom pay her a visit.

The renter does not attend the church... but is this NOT a concern for other churches that they don't care whom they rent the manse to? Doesn't it look bad on Christianity, the Church, and the Presbyterians in the eyes of the community?

Please advise... :confused:
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 18, 2007, 02:06 AM
    I don't know... you can't really discriminate in who you rent stuff too, that would be sort of wrong...
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Maybe if you let her rent the place you may be able to help her find the right path, and mend her ways.
    If you kick her out, then she may be worse off .
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 18, 2007, 06:53 AM
    "My aunt has lived next door to this manse since 1943....she says that whenever a pastor is not living there that the church rents it to anyone whom can be current on paying the rent."

If that is the only legal / contractual requirement, then her lifestyle is irrelevant.
    It the rental agreement has religious or moral requirements, you may have a point.

"The renter does not attend the church....but is this NOT a concern for other churches that they don't care whom they rent the manse to? Doesn't it look bad on Christianity, the Church, and the Presbyterians in the eyes of the community?"

Who did Jesus come for?. sinners.
    Who are some of the peolple He related to?. some of the dregs of society : the tax collectors, the samaritan woman at the well, lepers etc...

He readily accepted them after He pointed out their sin, and their change in heart.

I'm not saying that her reported lifestyle is acceptable or should be accepted, but would it not be a wonderful testimony for Christ, if the church counseled her and offered her love rather then condemnation?

Grace and Peace
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 07:11 AM
    No not at all, this is a business arrangement and if in the US, they could not violate housing laws by trying to dictate morallity to its renters.

And if a person has several boyfriends, it may mean they are single and just dating, it may or may not mean anything else.

In the past, our group has a rental house that we often let those that are trying to improve live in, more times than not, it turns out they end up on drugs or won't do anything and will have to be evicted, but it only shows we are trying to help people.

It only looks bad to those that want it to look bad or are too busy being nosey into others affairs.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
    You should avoid listening to gossip even from an aunt and if the dear lady has concerns she should take them up with the Pastor and the elders and not spread gossip
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Oct 5, 2007, 11:03 PM
    I think it looks bad on Christianity and the Church that she hasn't been witnessed to, along with every other person on earth.
    I think that Christians are more worried about the outer superficial evidence of Christianity, and don't realize that the thing that makes Christianity look the worst is the Christians.
    ShelbyWelby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 11:17 PM
    Comment on paraclete's post
    Makes sense!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to go to church? [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get my children baptised does this mean I need to go to church every week?

Having a non church wedding [ 7 Answers ]

My fiancé and I are both Catholic. We were both previously married. She had her marriage annulled by the church but I was denied annullment. So we are getting married on the beach. Who do we get to marry us? There are websites but the people seem cheesy or they seem like a cult. Please help.

Peace in the Church [ 11 Answers ]

Why do so many Christians ignore the peace teachings of Christ? Isn't it obvious that he did not come to establish a worldly kingdom? Yet, this administration and many of the Christians seek to bring about the kingdom through worldly mechanisms rather than through Christian living. Just...

Why Is The Church Silent? [ 9 Answers ]

Just like every other day of the week, 4000 babies were killed today. Where was the church? Where were the preachers? I'd sure like to know. Those of us who have been involved in the prolife movement (or for that matter, any other movement that impinges upon moral issues) for any length of...

View more questions Search