Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    see clearly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Paying taxes as independent contractor
    I am being paid as an independent contractor. I know I'll get a 1099 and I'm not making more than $15,000 this year. How do I pay the SS taxes? I know I'll pay witholding on my 1040 but not sure on SS. I believe I should save back about 25% for withholding. What else do I need to do.
    justme8 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
    I'm pretty sure the social security taxes are 7.5%. If you use Turbo Tax, and put in the info, it will figure out the tax that you owe the IRS.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 08:10 PM
    You will report your income and business related expenses on schedule C (Form 1040). Your net income from self-employment (or independent contractor) is subject to SE tax at 15.3%.
    To learn more about self employment taxes and estimated tax payments, read
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Self-employment taxes are what persons who work as independent contractors pay in lieu of the Social Security and Medicare taxes.

An employee only pays HIS/HER half of the Social Security and Medicare tax. The employer pays the other half.

The self-employed person pays BOTH sides of the Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Hence, 12.4% goes to Social Security, which is capped at about $104,000 for 2008. This means that, any amount over $104,000 is NOT subject to Social Security taxes.

The Medicare portion is 2.9%, but there is NO CAP on this part. That means EVERY dollar of the net profit shown on the Schedule is subject to that 2.9% levee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT independent contractor and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

What are the taxes that a foreign student on OPT who is working as an independent contractor is subjected to. What if the student is a "resident alien" for tax purpose. (IRS classifies foreign students as "resident aliens" for tax purpose if the period of stay in US is roughly 3yrs or more). ...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

As an independent contractor, What can be claimed on your taxes?

Non-resident alien as independent contractor--US taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am a non-resident alien living in Denmark. I work as an independent contractor, selling products to European distributors for an American company. I live and work in Denmark. I am in the U.S. about 10 days per year to meet with the American company. Must I file a return? ...

Taxes for Independent Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I just started to do work from home for a few different companies. All of which do not send a 1099 unless I earn around $400-500. I checked on the IRS website and found that I have to claim any income in excess of $500. If I earn over $500 in one year but it is split between say 4 companies and...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

View more questions Search