Ask
    bandipriti Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Georgia state taxes-OPT-H1
    Hello-

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Georgia state taxes

This is my employment history

Aug 2002-Dec 2004- F1 (Wisconsin)
    Feb 2005-October 2005- OPT (Atlanta, GA)
    November 2005 to present - H1 (Atlanta, GA)

I am filing as a non resident for both federal (1040NR-EZ) and state (GA 500 form)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether I could claim any itemized or standard deduction as a student of India in my GA form 500. (Page 4, Line 10)
    A friend of mine who studied in Atlanta was told apply a standard deduction, in the GA 500 form, of $2,300 according to a student tax treaty with India.

Could anyone please clarify?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2006, 07:59 PM
    BandiPriti:

Actually, you are a part-year resident of Georgia, though if you have NO income other than Georgia-based income, you should file as a full-year resident.

If you withheld GA taxes and charitable deductions exceed $2,300, then claim te itemized deduction. Otherwise, claim the $2,300 standard deduction that Georgia authorizes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 state Taxes [ 12 Answers ]

I have another question for taxes for 2005. I was in WIsconsin for 140 days till May 20th. Rest I was in WAshington (no State Taxes) On Nov 7th Moved my status from OPT(F1) to H1. Will I get back the state tax I paid on my income in WI or is it gone. Also my understanding is that...

State taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have seen this topic on the board, but I just need further clarification: I lived in NJ but worked in NYC in 2005. ON my W-2 in box 15 I have both NJ and NY then in box 16 I have 2 different state wages. In box 17- I only have state income tax for NY and not for NJ. My question is- when I...

CPT+fed and state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on F1-CPT in the state of CO while studying for 8 months in the year 2005. My employer did not withhold any taxes. So, I assume that I have to pay Federal and state taxes this year. My income for 2005 has been $11,600. I assume I have to pay around $550 in Federal and $165 in state...

Georgia State OPT tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I know how much is the OPT tax in Georgia state. My OPT ends on Feb 9,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search