Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frandean1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Non fault accident with no insurance
    Previously I was in the State of Indiana and I was in an accident which was not my fault. I was driving without any insurance. What are the penalties for driving without any insurance in the state of Indiana.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 08:24 AM

This is the information you requested from CarInsurance.com:

Driving without insurance in Indiana is a Class A infraction, unless you have had prior convictions for this violation then it is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Beyond getting your license suspended, the driver of an uninsured vehicle could also be assessed points according to IC 9-25-8-5. The number of points assessed shall be determined by the point study committee based on an evaluation of the situation.

In Indiana an infraction is the least serious offense to commit. It usually involves a minor violation of law, such as a traffic offense. Infractions are not considered crimes; they call for civil (non-criminal) sanctions. IN does not have to prove your guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt," as it does in criminal cases, and you cannot be imprisoned for an infraction violation.

An infraction is not a criminal offense so the penalty imposed is a civil judgment. A fine can be imposed, but no jail time. An "A" infraction is the highest type of infraction and can come with a fine of up to $10,000.

The IN BMV driver's manual also states that a person who operates a vehicle without an automobile liability insurance policy in effect is subject to a 90 day driver license suspension or a one year suspension if it is a repeat violation in a three year period. In order to obtain a reinstatement of the license, the person must pay a reinstatement fee of $150, $225, or $300 depending on whether it is a first, second, third or subsequent offense.

The minimum amount of car insurance that the state of Indiana requires as coverage is 25/50/10. This means $25,000 per injured person up to a total of $50,000 for all injured parties in an accident, and coverage of $10,000 for property damage from one incident.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 03:19 PM

If you were not at fault, regardless of not having insurance then the other person's insurance would cover your damages/injuries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At fault car accident, other driver no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

I was parked along a curb and was pulling out into the street. I hit a car that came up along side me. My front/side bumper hit the side of her car (passenger side) towards the back. Clearly this was my fault. She was driving without insurance and didn't want the police called. I offered to give...

No Fault Car Accident - No Health Insurance [ 8 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident which the other driver is at fault. Stopped at a red light and was hit from the rear and rushed to the E.R. / was instructed by E.R. to get MRI done / paid out of pocket to go see a doctor and have MRI done + Meds. / monies are now exhausted / may have issues with #10...

At Fault Accident, My Insurance Rates? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, so I was in my first accident ever. Ive only been driving for a year, so I'm a new driver. My record is clean, except for a few parking violations. So, last week I was driving my sisters car here in California, and ran over a rolled up rug on the road. It was dark at night and really had...

No proof of Insurance-not at fault accident [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana, I have an accident which wasn't my fault. The other driver was clearly at fault. She wasn't ticketed, but in the report it clearly stated that she was driving too fast, the speed limit was 25 and she was doing 40. She wasn't paying attention. I discovered that my insurance...

Accident witout insurance and at fault [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wife had a accident yesterday 03/09/2007 in warren county , mason ,Ohio And she was found at fault as she was taking a left turn and ROW was for the person approaching from the front The police officer wrote that my wife is at fault And both the cars were almost total , and on...

View more questions Search