Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evolt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 10:42 AM
    125 amp breaker box and a 200 amp breaker box
    I will be installing a 125 amp breaker box for a shed and another 200 amp breaker box for the house. I am going to install a 400 amp meter socket outside the shed since the house is not built yet. Can I terminate the two main feeders from the meter socket to the main breaker without having a main disconnect? What size wire and insulation should I use? Help please.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2012, 03:40 AM
    Assuming you will be using aluminum wire, the 125 amp panel will need #1/0 XHHW.

You may go from the meter to the Main Breaker in the panel, providing the wiring is all outside, it can enter a building, but needs to connect to the Main Breaker immediately.

Aug 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Assuming you will be using aluminum wire, the 125 amp panel will need #1/0 XHHW.

You may go from the meter to the Main Breaker in the panel, providing the wiring is all outside, it can enter a building, but needs to connect to the Main Breaker immediately.
    Ok. The next question is for the 200 amp panel for the house. The house will be like 50 ft away from the shed or meter socket. The wires are going underground. Do I need a 200 amp disconnect next to the meter then to the house? Or can I terminate the wires straight from the meter to the main breaker on the 200 amp panel? Thanks for replying.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Aug 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
    You will need to install a 200 amp disconnect by the meter before you go to the house because of the distance from the meter

Aug 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerro View Post
    You will need to install a 200 amp disconnect by the meter before you go to the house because of the distance from the meter

I thought so, but I wasn't sure and now I am. Thank you all for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install new breaker box-upgrade from 100 to 200 amp [ 8 Answers ]

I have done a bit of electrical work installing lighting and outlets and running new service to new appliances. I need to upgrade an old electrical breaker box from 100 amp to 200 amp. I want to know where I can find the specifics of the procedure so I can determine if I can do it myself seeing as...

How to ground a 200 amp breaker box ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a 200 amp service line down to a new meter base, then into a new 200 amp breaker box (upgrade from the 1956- 60 amp service that was there) . I have 2- 8 ' ground rods outside 6' apart , I have a continuous ground wire going to the fartherist grn rod from the nutral in the box. Do...

How to change a circuit breaker in a 200 amp box [ 7 Answers ]

How to change a circuit breaker in a 200 amp box

Identify 100 Amp vs 200 Amp Household Breaker Box [ 10 Answers ]

In my home Breaker Panel there are two breakers connected by a bar (labeled "Service Disconnect"), each breaker has a "100" written on them. Is this a 100 amp or 200amp Breaker box? Salesman wants to know what size Breaker Box I have in order to order to correct tankless water heater.

View more questions Search