Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gvn Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2010, 02:17 AM
    PETS health - Precaution and Pre-tests before the problems start!!
    Every breed have some or other health problem specific to the breed

what are tests we can perform in advance at what age ?

to counter attack the life taking diseases which can effect our lovely pet.

few queries related to Bullmastiff breed to start with

few which can be handled with regular inspection while pampering or monitoring after having food etc to rush to the vet for medical help

1) HOT SPOTS
    2) BLOAT OR GASTRIC TORSION
    3) ENTROPIAN (eyelid turning inwards)
    4) DISTICHIASIS ( Eyelash disorders )
    5) ALLERGIES

The major problems like
    6) HIP DYSPLASIA - what precautionary tests at what age to be carried out to monitor?
    7) CANCER
    8) ENDOCARDITIS

what are the tests to be carried out? At what ages
    x-rays? Radiography ? Stool tests ?

diff. dog breed have diff. tests and monitoring required through vetenary pathological lab tests.

Advises from experienced vet / owners requested
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 05:36 AM

You can get genetic testing done. Usually when you buy from a registered breeder, the parents have been genetically tested. A good breeder wouldn't allow dogs with traits such as hip dysplasia, or health defects to breed so there is a lesser chance of those traits getting passed down. This doesn't nessesarily mean your dog WON'T have health issues just because the parents didn't.

Testing will not identify carriers, (dogs that do not have a particular condition, but can still produce it). Additionally, many genetic diseases do not manifest themselves until the dog is older and may have already been bred.

Tests that are available now are x-rays to detect displaced or malformed hips, elbows, and knees; eye tests for progressive retinal atrophy; a biopsy for sebaceous adenitis(Spelling?? ); a blood test for hypothyrodism and vonWillebrand’s disease (a bleeding disorder); the BAER test for deafness; and a smattering of other tests that aid in detecting breed-specific diseases.

Heart exams should be done every one to two years. Hips and elbows are done once, after the age of two years. Your vets will read the x-rays and then grades them.
    However, there are a few known test cases where x-rays were relabeled and re-submitted and a different rating was received.

Here are some websites I found, I haven't had much a of a chance to fully go through them, but they may have more detailed info in them.

DOGenes - Genetic Testing and Research for Dogs

Genetic Testing: A Guide for Breeders

Canine Genetics Resources

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Health Insurance for Pre Existing Illness [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any group insurance policies or individual policies which covers pre existing illness?

Pre-Tax Health Insurance Premiums [ 1 Answers ]

I received my W-2 today, and should Box 1 on the W-2 be reduced by the pre-tax health insurance premiums I pay throughout the year? And if so the Wages, Tips, Compensation would be lower than the social security wages, and medicare wages in boxes 3 and 5, correct?

Health Insurance disqualifications for pre-existing conditions [ 2 Answers ]

If a person is voluntarily terminated, currently receiving COBRA benefits and takes a new position, is the new employers health insurance provider legally allowed to disqualify the individual for a pre-existing condition?

Health Insurance with a pre-existent condition [ 15 Answers ]

My son is in Utah this week skiing with his girlfriend and her family and got injured last night. He was taken to the hospital and it was determined that he busted his knee (ACL) but because he has no insurance there was not much that they could do for him. They are flying back tomorrow and he is...

Health insurance coverage for pets/kittens/cats [ 2 Answers ]

Does Massachusetts offer any time of additional pet insurance coverage for veterinarian appointments/vaccinations/spaying/etc.

View more questions Search