Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    concernedmommytobe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Baby's last name
    I am 6 months pregnant and so confused. The baby's father wants the baby to have his last name, but the dad has not help or been a part of the pregnancy this far. I have invited him to all my doctor's appt. and he says he wants to come but never does. He has 2 kids already and the live with him. He can't take care of them. He can't pay the bills so he has different girlfriends pay them instead. I was fine with the baby having his last name but I was told that would give him more rights then me and that he will automatically be aloud to claim the baby on his taxes even if the baby lives with me and he only has it every other weekend. I don't know what to do I am so confused... HELP
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Jul 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Hey, congrats on the baby. Well if you two don't plan on getting married, I say, give the baby YOUR last name. Your its birthmother and your going to live with the baby forever, right? If you two are not married, or plan on it, if he didn't get you pregnant, I say the baby deserves your name. Also when you get married the last name can be changed anytime!
    Good luck with the baby!

Hope I helped.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 05:08 PM
    You need to find out if your state will allow the birth Father's signature on the birth certificate, without you two being married. Some states do not allow that at all, while some allow it with a signed affadavit of paternity from the Father or the Mother.

Child Custody Laws - Find Child Custody Laws for All 50 States - State Statutes Related to Child Custody
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Jul 2, 2007, 07:03 PM
    He isn't the father right?
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jul 2, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Giving the baby the father's last name does NOT give him any more rights than it does you. It does NOT automatically entitle him to the tax deduction. All the information you were given was false. And you can not change the last name of the baby anytime you want. You will have to petition the court for a name change after the birth certificate is recorded. What giving the baby his last name may do is legitimize him as the father for some purposes. Without putting his name on the birth certificate, being married to him at the time of the birth, an Affidavit of Paternity or a DNA he is not recognized as the legal father and will then have to legally establish his paternity by a DNA test before he even has legal rights to the baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change baby's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old daughter her father wanted her to have his last name so I gave my baby his last name but needless to say he is not even apart of her life anymore I live in west Virginia and he lives in ny my question is how much would it cost to change her last name

Change baby's name. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. On my daughters birth certificate it says 'unknown' as the biological father. I am now married to a different man, who is not my daughters biological father. How do I go about doing this if I have no biological father listed on her birth certificate. I know who her biological father is, but...

Baby's Daddy [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my ex have bin together about 4 yrs now off and on, since then he has had a g/f and we were still seeing each other. We always fight about silly things and telling each other that its over.The problem now is that we had twin girls about 1 month ago (wow... I know!! ) and he says that he...

Baby's gender [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and curious if it is a boy or a girl

View more questions Search