Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Windows 2000
    Can I install windows 2000 over windows ME without losing any of my programs or information?
    Thanks
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 25, 2005, 12:24 PM
    You cannot upgrade from ME to windows 2000. Here's a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...th/default.asp

Therefore, you will have to backup all your documents, make sure you have your program disks and wipe & re-install!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Windows 2000 Install
    Hi,
    Here is a link with step by step instructions on installing Win2000:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000544.htm

There are 2 ways to install 2000.
    First way, uses the steps at the above link. But, this method of deleting the partition and re-creating a partition will wipe out the WinME, and all your files and programs.
    Be SURE you have a backup copy of all your files you want to keep, like on a CD-R, so you can put it all back. You will also have to reinstall all your programs, printer, scanner, etc.
    Second way, is to keep your WinME, as you have asked. This Win2000 install will allow you to Dual Boot, between ME and 2000. When the 2000 install asks to delete the primary partition, say NO. Let it install in a new partition, or with the current drive.
    You will not lose ME, or your files. Then, when you re-boot, you can choose either ME or 2000.
    Any of the above must be installed with an install CD for Win2000. It won't work using a bundled software from a computer manufacturer.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    PS; If for some reason, your CD-ROM drive does not recognize the Win2000 install CD, you can use the CD on another computer to make 4 floppy disks for install. Then, bring the 4 floppies and the install CD back to your computer. Turn off the computer, insert the 1st. Floppy disk, then turn on your computer. Follow the instructions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows 2000/Xp passwords [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a Problem. I have forgotton my windows 2000 /Xp passwords. I don 't required a new installation.please help me how I can retrive my windows passsword. Or tell me what is the files which contain the password. I shall be thank ful to you. Pls retieve my windows passwords. Thanks...

Windows Xp/2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows 2000 installed - can I install XP over this? If not how do I remove 2000 before I install xp? Thanks

Windows 2000 and WINNT [ 1 Answers ]

Is it normal if one really has only one OS installed, and that OS is windows 2000, with service pack 3, for WINNT to be installed on the computer?! When I try to look at the properties of WINNT, the amount of space it supposedly occupies keeps shifting, constantly. However, there are huge numbers...

Windows xp or 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently signed up for a class for windows 2000 professional. When I arrived for the class it was for XP professional. I am pursuing a MCSA and both are good for the os portion. However I am wondering if I would be better off studying 2000 instead?

View more questions Search