Why do Americans dislike Canadians?

Asked Aug 6, 2008, 10:20 PM 13 Answers
    I am not trying to create controversy by any means, I'm just asking this question literally. Its not something I've only experienced a few times, its everywhere. Many forums are written just to discriminate against Canadians and T.V shows written by American's make fun of Canadians, "eh, you live in igloos, you all dress like mounties, and theres moose everywhere, all you care about is hockey" etc etc. Its rude to discriminate like that, I don't care its not acceptable at all to group one country together and hate on us. And people will go out of their way to post blogs calling Canadians stupid, and how we're boring and bland and how we just plain suck. I know someone will state that Canadians will do the same thing, but its not as bad because I never see any Canadians making shows about Americans or anything. I know people are going to get mad about this, but American's just admit you hate on us a lot. Its everywhere and I'm not saying you ALL do, but many of you do. I just want to know, why do so many of you have a problem with Canadian's? I can't wrap my mind around it, what's so bad about Canada?

Last edited by white-rose; Aug 6, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#2

Aug 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
    Wow, I must live a sheltered life. I can only remember a mounty being on one show and can't remember what it was about. ( don't watch much t.v.) I have never seen a Canadian hate blog... but usually I look at the animal or gardening blogs.

I love hockey and the flag is a beauty. I also like the fact that all gets health care, your government seems to be more understanding with small crime. I have read that private companies handle the roads and air traffic and that it runs smoother.

I know the border does a good job... they always make sure our trucks/freight is in proper order before entering (I send trucks to Canada).

I have read some very good post from Canadians on here, shared some laughs, disagreed, agreed, learned a few things and went pfft to some things. So not all Americans dislike you all, heck I am American raised in the South and you would not believe all the crap that is said about us. But that is just what it is "crap" people can't be put in a box no matter how some try. But what do I know I've been called a lazy, toothless, dumb hillbilly, married to half my relatives most of my life.
    michealb's Avatar
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

#3

Aug 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Most american don't dislike Canadians. The reason we make fun of them is be they are one of the only countries that is is politically correct to do so. . They are our friends we figure they can take a joke or two.
    sammijolene's Avatar
    sammijolene Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#4

Aug 7, 2008, 12:04 AM
    Hahaha my roommate is canadian (male) and I am an american (female) and we live in america! I make so much fun of him I call him immigrant I even put it on his 20th birthday cake. I don't hate him or nothing it is just fun because he is from another country I guess and he has a green card he pokes just as much fun back. He says the bluetooth is the american fanny pack. We all join in and say "ay" now all good fun!
    ylaira's Avatar
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118

#5

Aug 7, 2008, 12:21 AM
    I work in a call center and deal with both americans and canadians. I must say that canadians are much nicer customers.
    0rphan's Avatar
    0rphan Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 237

#6

Aug 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
    I don't think for one minute Americans hate the Canadians, it's just a bit of harmless banter.

It's a bit like us English, we take the p--- out of the Scotts and the Irish and they do the same to us... we love each other dearly really!!
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,733, Reputation: 7219

#7

Aug 9, 2008, 01:15 PM

Well I got a few individuals ones I don't care much for, but no I don't even think it is widely believed that Americans dislike them. Must be in your area of people you know
    clever diamond's Avatar
    clever diamond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#8

Feb 26, 2009, 07:43 PM
    I have been an American in Canada three years and yes.. MANY encounters of Canadians making NEGATIVE comments about Americans, my co-workers, bosses, (my new in-laws), the general public, radio personalities cutting down celebs and bands from the states but always promoting Canada's own, it is UNBELIEVABLE!! I never knew... Lived nearly my whole life in the states and never heard an American say a negative thing about a Canadian... it is only known there that Canada is our friendly neighbor.. so disappointing Canada.. it's never an "all" inclusive.. great people everywhere, and I've been about everywhere, there is not much you can do with small minds from every country, that's what I say!
    ylaira's Avatar
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118

#9

Feb 26, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clever diamond View Post
    I have been an American in Canada three years and yes.. MANY encounters of Canadians making NEGATIVE comments about Americans, my co-workers, bosses, (my new in-laws), the general public, radio personalities cutting down celebs and bands from the states but always promoting Canada's own, it is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I never knew...Lived nearly my whole life in the states and never heard an American say a negative thing about a Canadian...it is only known there that Canada is our friendly neighbor.. so disappointing Canada..it's never an "all" inclusive.. great people everywhere, and I've been about everywhere, there is not much you can do with small minds from every country, that's what I say!
    As mentioned above I am working in a call center that use to be owned and managed by Canadians and pretty much speaks on both Canadians and Americans. Not that I dislike Americans, my Bf is American I must say it is because of the way Americans behave, speak and use words. I already heard before that Canadians and Americans doesn't mix well but I don't know why. When I started taking calls, I realized why.

I take calls from both countries, customer svc. If Canadian calls in about some problem, they are patient, barely yells, even if their problem is a huge inconvenience they are still calm when they talk and most of all doesn't curse. On Americans in contrary, they are demanding, hot headed, want's an answer immediately even my boyfriend when his door came late and wrong, he demanded it to be free.

I'm not saying not all Canadians are nice and Americans are difficult. I'm TALKING IN GENERAL. I have nothing against Canadians and Americans. Just an observation.
    earl237's Avatar
    earl237 Posts: 514, Reputation: 57
    Senior Member

#10

Feb 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Canadians know much more about Americans than vice-versa. There are some stereotypes that each country has about the other but I don't think there is that much dislike between them in general. There is an old saying that goes 20% of Americans think Canadians are their best friends and the other 80% don't know we exist. Many Americans don't know that Canada is their largest trading partner.

Really dislike my husbands best friend [ 8 Answers ]

Here goes.. I am only married a couple months, but this has always been an issue somewhat ever since we have been dating. My husbands best friend is very adventerous, outgoing, and fun... all the reasons they get along so well. My issue is when we all hangout he tends to tease me a lot, not in...

I dislike my new hair [ 1 Answers ]

Ohkay well Ive always had dark hair.and latley I've been in the sun a lot.and my hair has Faded.so I decided to get my dark , black , hair back.So I decided to die.When I died it, It turned out black... but I don't like it .:mad: It doesn't look hideous.But it doesn't look Natural.And I just...