Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovemike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Blocking an internet site from my computer
    I have searched this website for an answer to my question and tried all the solutions listed with no success. My computer is shared with the household and someone keeps logging on to a dirty site, to prevent this from happening, I want to block access to the site completely. Can this be possible even for someone as untalented with computers as I am? Any help whatsoever would be amazing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Its possible, but depending on how knowledgeable the person going after the site is, any controls can be gotten around.

One thing you can try isusing the Hosts file. This is a text file where you can assign a domain to an IP address. So if you assign the domain to the loopback address (128.0.0.1 {I think}) then any request to go to that domain will result in a blank page.

There are third party blockers like net Nanny that can be used to block specific sites as well.
    ilovemike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
    I cannot even locate the host files... I have searched the entire computer and cannot find anything even remotely close to the host files... I know that sounds really bizzarre but its true LOL... is this Net Nanny free?

Dec 11, 2007, 11:25 AM
    No, net nanny is not free. Make sure when you are doing a search that you search for hidden files and folder as well. The hosts file is in the c:\windows\isystem32\drivers\etc folder on my XP machine.
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Dec 12, 2007, 03:13 AM
    If you are an advanced computer user you can use HostsXpert to block a single site. (at your own risk)
    Security News from the net: How to block adversments and tracking cookies permanently

Dec 12, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by invisibleman_productions
    If you are an advanced computer user you can use HostsXpert to block a single site. (at your own risk)
    This just appears to be a front end to editing the Hosts file. And I would not recommend disabling DNS. When you make a call to a web site the Hosts file is looked at first, if the URL is not found, a call is then made to the DNS. If you disable DNS this will slow down your surfing unless you add the site to the Hosts file.

By the way, you can also use the Hosts file to speed accessing favorite sites. Since the browser can retrieve the IP from the Hosts file faster than it can from the DNS, the page can be accessed more quick.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Here are some free recommended web filters: The Extended Best-ever Freeware Utilities List

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet site logging [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings, I am looking for a service that logs every website visited, and then sends the information to a designated email address. This is useful for parents who are aware that children today are computer savvy enough to bypass the conventional parental controls? Any suggestions? Thanks a...

Blocking other computer users [ 2 Answers ]

I do not know how to ask this but, how is it possible to share two sides of the computer? My husband and I each have web sites on two separate "sides" of the computer. How is that? If we have another person ( a neighbor to be exact) how do we stop this person from access to emails on one side? How...

Blocking web pages from my computer [ 2 Answers ]

Would someone please give me a response as to how to block certain websites for anyone that uses my computer? I am desperate. Thanks

Blocking websites in internet explorer ver 6.0 [ 3 Answers ]

My problem is that . I have to block certain mail sites and other sites . But the problem is that even though I block the sites in the content bar of explorer . Some people are going for the search engines sites and from there they are able to access those mail sites . Is there any solutions that...

Internet site [ 1 Answers ]

I there a website where I can watch full length movies for free and safly? Or download.

View more questions Search