Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 08:14 AM
    98 Plymoth Breeze
    I have a 98 Plymoth Breeze and about 3 days ago the heat stopped working. I had this problem maybe like 2 weeks ago, so I put antifreeze in it and the heat started working fine. Now it just blows out cold air. There is no antifreeze leaking. What could it be?
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Your thermostat could be stuck in the open position, this would cause the water to just keep running through the engine and not give it time to heat up, or maybe your heatercore is plugged making it so the water wouldn't go through it to give you heat. Just two different ideas to throw out there.

Jan 16, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Someone told me that there could be air stuck in the coolant and that I needed to take the cap off and let my engine run for 15-20 minutes. Could that be a possibility to?

Jan 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I don't think so, if you do that don't open the cap after your car has run because your system is presurized and if the water is hot you could get burnt not to mention antifrieze all over the place.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 08:39 AM
    If you have to refill the cooling system and it's not leaking, where is your coolant going?
    If you only had a faulty radiaotr cap, coolant loss would show at the overflow tank running over or at the drain tube.
    Have the system pressure tested and/or block tested. If not caught soon enough, an undiagnosed cooling system failure can lead to expensive repair bills.

Jan 16, 2008, 08:42 AM
    So I can't open the cap and wait for it to bubble?

Jan 16, 2008, 08:44 AM
    The guy told me to open the cap where I put my antifreeze in, wait for it to start bubbling (he said it would take like a minute or two) and let my car run for 15-20 min. You're telling me that is dangerous?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Running the engine with the cap off is not testing the system under the conditions in which it is to operate. Plus running the engine till hot coolant blows out of the radiator can be very dangerous.
    There are special testing tools that can be used to determine if the engine has internal/gasket failure. Find a qualified shop to diagnose your car. Ask family, friends or neighbors for references.

Jan 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
    How much does it cost to get a computer scan on a car to figure out what wrong?

Jan 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Look, I don't have any money and I want to find out what's wrong myself. How do I do that so that I can seek further help from a professional? The mechanic told me there could be air running through it. Can that be a problem to?

Jan 16, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I don't think air is the problem, but if you open the cap wher the radiator fluid is added (should have a plastic cap on it) not the steel radiador cap you can try your theory. Also did you mix the radiator fluid 50/50 1\2 water and 1\2 antifreeze before adding it I think that is the way they still do it, its been awhile since I've needed to add any radiator fluid. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze fan [ 6 Answers ]

I have a habor breeze flush mount fan that is 10 years old (I use it ALL the time) and it is making a lot of noice recently. Can there be something done to stop the noice? Can it be oiled in some way?

Harbor Breeze Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased two Harbor Breeze Bellhaven fans.. I used 14 gauge wire with 15 amp circuit.. The wire was used in the past for a heater/light in my bathroom, which I replaced including the wiring. So I used the old wiring for the new fans I installed. I purchased two Harbor Breeze switches...

Harbor Breeze Fan [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Harbor Breeze fan in our bedroom, its almost directly over our bed. The fan itself works fine (remote etc) but at low and mediom speed it has an anoying "click" which drives us nuts. I took the blades off checked for any screws touching the armiture, ran it with out the blades and I can...

Harbor Breeze Fan [ 5 Answers ]

I recently installed a 52" Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and I hate it. It's terribly Loud the motor hums constantly. Does anyone have any suggestions or know Who the manufacturer is?

View more questions Search