Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MimiGirl Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Sep 11, 2009, 11:59 AM
    A final payment check cashed but made a mistake
    Hello,
    I am having a little bit of a problem with a court violation and made a mistake payment by check to the court.. intead if putting on the check $15 I put $10 and added that it was a final payment, eventually it got cashed. I have a account with Chase bank but my question is this what happens if a check gets cashed and it says final payment on the note? Can one still have a chance to change the amount or will the court receive the payment as finall? Please help.. ty
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 10:03 PM

Once someone has cashed a check, no you can't change it. For one thing, you should never change the dollar amount on a check... if a bank accepts a check with a change of dollar amount, then anyone could just go around changing checks they get all the time. Which is illegal. So a bank should never accept that. Plus, if it's already cashed, it's already cashed.

You can stop payment on something that hasn't cleared your bank yet, but considering there's a fee that's more than you owe, that wouldn't be worth it.

Supposedly, writing "final payment" makes it final. However, I don't think that stands up in court except under certain circumstances.

It sounds like you are attempting to correct the error. In which case, I think you're making things difficult. Why not just pay them the last $5 you owe? You might want to do that in person and then get something in writing saying it's paid in full.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Cobra payment be prepaid on final check and could it be a pre-tax deduction [ 2 Answers ]

If we have an employee that on his final check wants to pre-pay his cobra payments could that be considered a pre-tax deduction?

When does my check get cashed? [ 2 Answers ]

My apartment lease in Minnesota was up on February 28th, 2009. My landlord cashed the security deposit check on February 18th, 2009. Can they legally cash it 10 days before my lease was up?

Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are...

I think I made a mistake. Agreeing to a payment [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am in West Virginia. I rec a summons on may 11 stating I had 20 days to respond at the courts office. Here it is, 11 days later. I called and was told my payment options. Never once did she tell me that by agreeing to this that a judgement would be against me. She said call back mon...

View more questions Search