Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

Mar 26, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Listening to my spirit.
    Do you think our spirit and conscience are the same thing? I know my conscience disturbs me if I have done something out of my character mode. My spirit seems to tell me in advance of doing it that I will have a problem.
    How do you think these two are related?
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 26, 2006, 12:18 PM
    I believe the conscience is the mental interpretation of the spirit. Kind of difficult to qualify in words,however just think about it as your spirit is everything about yourself,and the conscience is your brain trying to interpret what your deepest level of self is saying.

Mar 26, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Since our spirit is everything about our self. Does that indicate that self is basically good? When we ignore that conscience too often we no longer hear our spirit and are no longer good?
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
    I believe that yes at some level we are basically good,however we allow ourselves to tune out our spirit for whateverreason it may be.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Hello Purplewings, A very warm welcome to you. Happy to see you!

I do believe that our spirit and concience is defiantly linked or even one in the same. Our concience does tell us what is wrong and right.

The question is there are some people who seem to have no concience at all does that mean they do not have any spirit?

So I guess, by that they are not linked but actually work together. Everybody has a spirit. I guess it is a question of listening. Many people seem to not want to listen or ignore it.

Joe

Mar 26, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the welcome and for your viewpoint too.

I'm sure everyone is born with spirit. It just wanes with daily struggle or egoism. Some people just don't believe they need to follow the dictates of their spirit and fall into immoral behaviors... which in turn push the spirit away further. Sometimes it's too far to return to.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Apr 9, 2006, 10:23 PM
    Praise God!

I am high on the Holy Spirit

Catch the Love, Purplewings!!

Apr 10, 2006, 03:51 AM
    This isn't about religion, although spirituality can be. For me, it's about our connection to our creator and each other. It's there whether we acknowledge it or not.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2006, 04:08 AM
    Hi, purplewings,
    I do believe the "spirit" and the conscience are related. Some, unfortunately, have no conscience, don't know the difference between "bad" and "good". Their conscience doesn't bother them if they do things normal people wouldn't even think of doing; like stealing, killing, etc.
    The spirit could be within ones own self; or could be what the spiritual beliefs some of us have. In the sense of spiritual beliefs, it does tie in with our conscience.
    Have a great week, and best wishes.

Apr 10, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Thanks Fred. I think everyone is born with the conscience spirit and some lose it as they go through life. We always have a spirit but it can go bad when ignored too often.
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Hi!
    I see the soul as the main and most important element of our being.
    As for the spirit, as far as I perceive it ( and I'd like to stress that English is not my mother-language), I see the spirit as the element within us which guides us.
    So, I see the conscience as being strongly related to the spirit: I see it as some kind of mediator, or something which is constantly comparing the way of the spirit with our conduct.
    I find a moral way of life is to strive constantly to behave in the way the spirit instructs us.
    Being an incorrigible optimist, I sometimes "shut down" the warnings feelings I have inside , and grant others positive credits which, in the long run, harm me.
    I mention this because of my basic belief that all spirits are basically moral, or "good", so to say.
    I think that people who act frequently in contradiction with their spirit, maybe "shut down" the voice of conscience?
    Can it be that in the long run they become "deaf" to this voice, or that this voice is silenced for good?
    On the other hand, there are so many case of real remorse and change in the way people act towards others, that I think that f the spirit can't be really extinguished in any of us.
    (Am I being the hopeless optimist fool once more?)
    :o
    Millie :)
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Apr 10, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Know this...

The right & wrong BEHAVIOR is determined by The SPIRIT. If you are not born again the only spirits you possess is 1) a self-spirit or 2) a demon spirit.

You have to differentiate between your own conscience and your perceived guilt or not.

Some people like themselves better than others and that is why they ultimately are able to accept themselves.

If I cannot pity the fool, I am useless.

Your life depends on your own worth.

Right there is where we differ

WHO we rely on to make us HAPPY.

All But Love is DEAD...

Apr 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
    Pumpkin,

I don't know who you rely on to make you happy but I rely on myself. Thanks for your response.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 17, 2006, 11:28 PM
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by the word spirit. Do you mean strong tendencies to take certain courses of action? Are you referring to God's holy spirit? Or are you referring to a spirit entity encased in your material body that you consider to be the real you? The Bible differentiates between different uses of the word spirit and never applies it to what people refer to as the soul.

So I would say that they are two totally different things.
    In any case a person's conscience once it has been properly trained can be given additional guidance via God's holy spirit if the person requests such guidance before making any decisions.

Behavioral scientists view the conscience as simply the way we have been trained to feel about certain things via the process of socialization. The faculty itself of the conscience, is of course good just as the hand, the foot, and our ability to reason is good. But just as these things which are good in themselves can be misused, so too the conscience. Conscience is a culturally-calibrated thing which can either lead us in the path of righteousness or any other path for that matter. For example, some South Pacific Islanders' conscience bothered them if they didn't go head hunting and in that way perform a required religious ritual which mimicked their concept of creation. The Aztecs' conscience bothered them if they did not offer human hearts to their god. The conscience of certain Caananite tribes was bothered if they didn't offer their children as live burnt sacrifices to their god Moloc. So how the conscience functions depends on how it has been trained via the process of socialization.

BTW

Some person's even lose sleep because they are bothered by their wrongly-trained conscience.

Proverbs 4:16
    For they sleep not, except they do evil; And their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

KJV

May 18, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Hi Starman,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the conscience. It was very helpful, and interesting too. It also helped me to separate my idea of spirit and conscience.

When I refer to spirit, it is the love that resides within each of us, therefore I would say it's our connection to our creator, and gives us the desire to do "what we believe" is the right thing.

The soul is much different. I see the soul as a huge invisible blanket that covers each of us individually and contains our original self before earth and ego takes over. It is this self, slightly evolved, that returns to our creator.

I am not a religious person so am not going by the Bible, but by the beliefs I have acquired through years of openness to ideas and experiences.

Blessings to you.
    PW
    Peacekelsey Posts: 33, Reputation: 6
    -

Feb 14, 2009, 09:29 PM

No spirit is completely different from your consciousness(ego). You're unconsciousness is more close to your spirit. Perhaps you should check out this book, "A new Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose," by Eckhart Tolle. Your spirit is what we are... our conscious is our brains... which only exists in human or animal form... when we return to spirit form after leaving our human shells we will no longer have a consciousness...
    Edward55 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 06:22 AM

Yes, the Conscience is in with the mind itself. You learn the 50% of your conscience from your guardians/Parents or mostly how they act to you and tell you which is right or wrong which in young age you do not know the world very much and your conscience from your parents becomes a guidance for your future. You may learn Knowledge from your friends but that will not let that knowledge in your conscience if it is bad and that truly when you know your Conscience and your spirit! Your Conscience is just a guide to your spirit!
    Edward55 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by purplewings View Post
    Pumpkin,

I don't know who you rely on to make you happy but I rely on myself. Thanks for your response.
    Yes very much that is so true. Your conscience is 50% on yourself and 50% on your parents. Your spirit is like a very powerful thing and your conscience is your will of power to right things or wrong!
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Nov 2, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by purplewings View Post
    Do you think our spirit and conscience are the same thing? I know my conscience disturbs me if I have done something out of my character mode. My spirit seems to tell me in advance of doing it that I will have a problem.
    How do you think these two are related?
    What you have here is basically the age old mind/body problem. Descartes started the whole thing off when he claimed that the essential property of the mind is that it thinks and the essential property of the body(including the brain) is that it is extended

No form of thought ever involves extension i.e.. It does not occupy space. On this basis I would say that spirit and conscience are one and the same. This is because they both are non-extended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I swear I'm being followed by a spirit or something.. [ 27 Answers ]

Okay, I'm a 13 year old from England. All the weird things started to happen last Saturday, Me and my two friends were staying at our other friends house. Lets call her.. Tammy, well we were staying at Tammys house on our own, No adults at all. XD But then all the weird stuff started to happen....

Possible spirit in my home [ 3 Answers ]

When I first moved to my home we blessed the house because we believe there was a spirit that would shut off the TV , Shower and so forth. My sister and I actually felt the presence touch us inapproriately ( only once each of us about a year apart). It has been about 3 years since we did this....

Spirit army [ 4 Answers ]

This may seem very shocking it certainly was to me. The other night in bed under the influence, I happened to see a dark figure come out of the bathroom door. I prayed to God , my spiritual advisor and to to send all good spritits tohelp me. The images left my room. The next day looking out the...

Does anyone know of good easy listening music.. [ 4 Answers ]

I want some easy listening music for my photo slide shows, does any one know where I can get some? I tried some websites, but may be some of you know something I don't... Thankz

View more questions Search