Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Not_As_Clueless_As_I_Seem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 10:41 PM
    Telephone Wiring
    I am trying to help someone whose line 2 went dead after they did some rearranging of furniture. The wiring was pretty old, so I replaced it from where it comes into the wall. There is a two-line phone in that room that has both lines working fine. Between where the line comes in and the jack, the wires are spliced to a second set of wires, which goes into another room. In that room, line 1 works fine, but line 2 has no dial tone. Since both lines work in the first room, I figured the problem had to be in the second room, but now I'm not sure. Questions: 1) is it okay to splice in another set of wires between where the original set of wires comes into the room and the first phone jack? Or should the second set of wires be connected to that first phone jack? Or.. 2) Could the problem be with the phone? I'm not sure how to check the second line as the only other phone available is a one line phone. 3) Am I correct in assuming there is no problem between outside? 4) There is DSL on this phone line too. Since there is a separate cable/wire coming in, it doesn't seem like the phone wires spliced in for the other room should affect the DSL, but it seems that when the non-functioning line 2 is connected in the second room, the DSL stops working. Is this just a fluke or are there special considerations in phone wiring when DSL is present?

Sorry for all the questions. But I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 06:54 AM
    The problem can be anywhere, I know that is not much help, but need to start over and check all the connections.

A telephone cable usually has 4 wires, red and green for Line #1, and black and yellow can be used for Line #2. The red and green end up at the two center prongs on a 4 wire jack, the other two on the two outer prongs.

To test with a one line phone, make up a test jack by using a spare jack with wires coming off the red and green terminals, and connect to to each set of wires and use the phone to hear the dial tone.

DSL is another signal imposed onto the phone line or number on that set of two wires, and should not affect the operation of that line. You may need the filter provided by the DSL provider in between the phone and jack to eliminate the noise or hiss, but still should be able to hear the dial tone.

I hope this helps some, if not get back with what you found so far, and more detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telephone wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small business. When the owner installed the telephone lines he installed 2 of them. We took the plate off and looked at the wiring within jack and he put 2 strands to each of the 2 jacks. We currently have 2 incoming lines with a 2 line telephone. This works okay. However, we are...

Telephone [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 7 year old Uniden telephone in the kitchen that has a wireless hand set and speaker in the base. The AC adapter is making a very soft buzzing sound that we had never noticed before. Should the whole works or the adapter be replaced? We are leery since an old computer popped that was...

Telephone [ 3 Answers ]

What DXX stands for?

Telephone wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I hope you'll be able to help me.. I am trying to have a phone at the kitchen and both my bedrooms. When I first moved into the apartment, there was only 1 jack working (bedroom 2), I was able to successfully put the kitchen jack working a month ago. Now, I am trying to work on the bedroom 1...

Telephone Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

There are two numbers currently working in my home. I would like to rewire a jack so it works on the other number. I thought it was an easy task by just switching the wires. However I tried numerous combinations and it still does not work. The jack that I want to switch users other colors...

View more questions Search