Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llwarrick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Telephone Rewiring
    I have an old 4-prong telephone jack in my house and I would like to install the current type of jacks that are used. The 4-prong has two wires hooked up to it, a solid blue and a blue & white wire. However, there are 5 extra sets of wires wound together in the wall. There are sets of green, orange, brown, gray and red/blue.

The jack I bought has four screws with four different colored wires going to them. They are red, green, black and yellow.

Why are there so many extra wires in the wall and which ones should I use on the new jack and to what wire do they attach to?

Thank you,

Laura
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Not sure what all the spare wires are, sounds like some used a multi-pari cable just because they had it.

The two wires already connected to the old jack are the important ones, they will connect to the red and green terminals on the new jack.

Keep those spares there, you may be able to use them in the future for another line.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
    The old box that the blue and blue/white wires should be labeled R, G, B, and Y. Make sure the wire that was on the G connects with the green, and the one on the R to the red.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

Rewiring a basement. [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my previously unfinished basement. I've got all the framing done, and it's time for electrical before I get to drywall. My basement is very small, and there will simply be a den, and a bedroom. There are two 15amp circuits running to the basement currently. ...

Rewiring an old phone [ 1 Answers ]

How do wire an old dial-up phone so I can plug it into a regular jack?

Rewiring air compressor [ 4 Answers ]

How do I rewire a 220V 2 hrp. Air compressor to 110V?

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

View more questions Search