Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Kitten nipping
    Our little kitten, has a nasty habit of nipping, he gets a piece of skin in between those two little fangs of his, it really hurts and he just can't seem to get it into his head that it is not allowed, he bites hard enough he breaks the skin, he'll chew on you like a hambone you give him the chance. He also has a terrrible desire to continually pounce and bite our older cat who cannot defend against him. How can you correct this, make him not nip and especially leave our other cat alone. I am desperately tired of seperalting the two and having to watch our kitten's every move. We were told that once we get him fixed that he would settle down and be more compatitable with our other cat but the earliest we can do it is six months and that won't be until Dec. I am open to any suggestions.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 04:34 PM

Do not slap him or struggle or punish him. This is normal as kitten behavior.

To stop this and keep it from escalating into out-and-out biting, when he nips and grabs onto your finger or hand with his teeth, DO NOT REACT!! Stay still! Do not move. He will stop biting down and will back off. If you struggle, he will think you are playing with him and it will become a more violent game.

Kittens do not understand being slapped or hit or punished. Trust me--they don't. Neither do adult cats. Neither do dogs or other animals.

Maintain your calm and do not react when he nips. Do not encourage rough play with kittens and human body parts.

Buy and/or make him some cat toys and use up his energy that way so he can chase a feather on a string or a wadded up newspaper, wrestle with a catnip mouse, play in empty cardboard boxes of differing sizes or hide in paper grocery bags. Exhaust him with safe play.
    JanRebecca76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Try hissing at him/her - it's what Mommy cat would do to them if doing wrong - works for my kitty -- :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Old thread. Closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had a kitten~~~~ [ 3 Answers ]

And it died.. it came out butt first and my friend told me that she is still in labor b.c she keep walking around the house a lot and puring and then mowing then growing does this sound like she is still in labor or was there just 1 kitten? Please help me ASAP:confused: :confused: :confused:

Kitten hit by car [ 2 Answers ]

I picked up a kitten after it had been run over on the highway and I am trying to make her as comfortable as possible. She had no broken limbs, no blood (external or in mouth or ears). After she regained some strength, she began walking (very wobbly) in circles and on the top of her paws, not...

Puppy nipping other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 week old puppy of course is teething and nipping when playing. But I get nervous when he's playing with other dogs and is jumping and play nipping at them. The other dogs will start to growl etc... What do I do? Should I pick him up and stop him or let the other dog tell him no. (The dogs I...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

Is my kitten ill? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a little concerned about my 8 week old tabby kitten. We only got her today and she has already passed tow diarrohea stool, the last of which I noticed there was a slight sign of blood loss. Not a lot, but enough to colour a few of the cat litter stones. She's lively and playful, hasn't yet...

View more questions Search