Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gimp252 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:53 AM
    What brings seizures in mini daschunds
    My daughter is noticing a difference in Charlies behavior and she is wondering if the birth of new puppies and having them running around the house now could cause enough stress for him to start having seizures,Charlie is 11 years old.He is not eating or drinking much,hides upstairs and they have to phyically bring him down and just acts like a different dog.thank you:)
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 28, 2008, 06:23 PM
    I haven't heard of stress causing seizures, but that doesn't mean it doesn't!
    The most common reason causing seizures in dogs
    1. Brain tumor, Head injury
    2. Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
    3. Distemper
    4. Environment - toxins
    5. Epilepsy
    6. hyper' and 'hypo' Conditions
    Hypoglycemia
    Hypocalcemia
    Hypoxia or Hypoxemia
    Hepatic Encephalopathy or Liver Disease
    Renal (kidney) disease
    Hyperkalemia
    Hyperlipoproteinemia
    Gastrointestinal disease ("garbage" poisoning)
    Tick Bites
    Toxoplamosis (Toxo)

Normal neurons (brain cells) use electrical and chemical signals to communicate with each other. This communication can either be excitatory which activates the next neuron, or inhibitory which shuts off the next neuron. The mechanism causing seizures in primary epilepsy is thought to be an imbalance in the excitatory and inhibitory signals to the brain. Every dog (and person) has a seizure threshold of neurological activity. Normally the excitatory and inhibitory signals are in balance which keeps the electrical activity below the seizure threshold. If the balance within the neurons shifts too far towards excitation, too many cells may become excited and a seizure will result. This excitation happens within the brain and is not related to your dog becoming excited about his favorite activity. In fact most seizures occur while a dog is at rest or asleep.

It is often difficult to determine what type of seizure your dog is having, therefore, it is very important that you keep calm when your dog has a seizure and observe him or her very closely. Since seizures rarely happen at your vets office, a detailed written description or a video of the seizure may help in the treatment and diagnosis of epilepsy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breeding Daschunds [ 41 Answers ]

How long are they pregnant? How often do they go into heat?

Mini Daschunds Age [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know how old a mini daschund can expect to live? I have Two and their getting older. I guess you can say I'm getting nervous. My daughter had to just put her dog down aftr 13yrs. Shirley Burke

Fighting Mini Daschunds [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have two mini daschunds (male & female) both have been fixed. For the most part they are best friends however, sometimes they get into vicious fights over toys. The fights don't last very long and afterwards they lick and make up. My question is what is the best way to break the fight up?...

Mini Daschund Having Seizures [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr old male, mini daschund who has recently started having seizures. I'm not familiar with the breed and actually didn't acquire him until he was 4 yrs and from a stranger so I don't know his history. Are seizures a common medical condition for this breed?

Reinstall CD brings up blank screen? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been having problems with my fax capability and want to reinstall the Drivers and Utilities for Reinstalling V.9X 56K Data/Fax Modem software for Microsoft Windows from the CD supplied with my Dell (Dimension 4600) computer. When I insert the disk, I just get a blank screen. What can I do?

View more questions Search