Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    insp044 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Beam span
    What is the usual span for two 2x8 nailed side by side. Im building a new deck 24' x 24' I don't know if I need this much support (2x8) nailed side by sdie
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
    You really need to know that load you will carry and most cities will spell out what beams are needed. There is absolutely no way you can span 24 ' with two 2x8s so you must have some addition supports planned inside the perimeter of the deck. How far apart will these beam supports be from each other? Also, you can increase the load capacity of two 2x8s by sandwiching in a piece of 1/2' plywood, glued and nailed.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
    I'm assuming that your actual rafter/joist span from the ledger (house-side support) to the header beam (yard-side support) will be 22'. That assumes a 2' eave beyond the outside edge of the header to total the 24' projection. I don't know where you are in the world, but the "standard" limits for a "live-load" deck vary depending on the seismic, wind and snow loads that are established in your location and a 22' span is unusually long. I would imagine that a span of 22' for a deck will probably require a structural or civil engineer's calculations and design specifications be provided with your building permit proposal (drawings)and permit application.

Here in the Southern California desert (LA County) something like that would either require some kind of "mid-span" support (like another post/header beam) or steel "I" beams as rafter/joists. The longest span that I've ever used wooden joists for was 18' and the engineering required a 6X12 header beam and 4X10 joists. It was way heavy. Usually an engineer (whose is exposed to the structural liability of the project), will over-engineer the design to "cover his/her a--".

It doesn't cost anything to talk to your local building department folks... get some feed-back from them first. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Beam/Low Beam on 99 Durango [ 4 Answers ]

My headlights will only work on high beams. My sister owned the Durango before and said she had to mess with the switch from time to time to get low beams to work then finally stopped working. Anyone ran into this problem? I think its in the steering column. I've checked fuses and headlights. ...

Beam size [ 1 Answers ]

What size bean would I require to span 12meters for a steel shed, it is used on the roof

Size of beam [ 2 Answers ]

How big a beam do I need for a span of 12 feet, for a patio roof?

Beam Deflection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mech Eng by education, but haven't used many of the skills for a long while. Can someone please run through the equations for calculating bending moment, stress, and deflection of a simply-supported beam? Maybe, for example, using a 2x10 (1.5" x 9.25" wood floor joist?? )... As I...

Eviction time span help [ 1 Answers ]

I have looked all over but can not find the answer I need. My daughter and her family are unable to make this next months rent and I am sure that the landlord is going to start eviction proceedings as soon as she is able. I need to know what the time span (approx) will be before she has to leave...

View more questions Search