Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GaijinInUS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 02:20 AM
    Canadian citizen with US income; spouse has Canadian income
    Hi,

Please help me understand how to file my taxes (none of the online software, like TurboTax, TaxCut, etc... seem to be able to handle this proprely)

I'm an H1 visa holder; I'm working and living in US since 09/2007.
    My wife has been living and working in Canada in almost all 2008 (360 days - minus vacations)

I want to file as Married Jointly.

Can you please verify whether my understanding is correct:
    1. I am considered resident-alient
    2. My wife is considered resident-alien since I'm filing married jointly.
    3. We both need to file our worldwide income.

Here's what's not clear:
    a. How do I report my wife's income? (she obviously doesn't have W-2)
    b. Can/Should I file for Foreign Income Tax Exclusion or file for Foreign Income Tax credit for my wife (she paid taxes in Canada). Tax Exclusion seems like the easiest, since her income is less than $87,000 and thus can be deducted as a whole without going into details of how much taxes she paid in Canada.
    b.1 What forms should I file?

Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 07:34 AM

1. Yes
    2. yes
    3. Yes

a. You do not need W2. Report on the basis of whatever record you have-- salary statements, bank statements, employer's statement
    b. Yes, if she meets bona filde residence test or physical presence test.
    c. If you can not file Form 2555, then file Form 1116 for foreign tax credit. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Apr 10, 2009, 11:44 AM

MukatA, thanks for the answer!

Just a clarification about your answer to b:
    To file form 2555, does my wife still need to meet the physical presence test, even though we elect to be treated as residents (by virtue of filing married jointly)? In other words, are only "real" residents eligible to file 2555.

Apr 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    b. Yes, if she meets bona filde residence test or physical presence test.
    Reading your answer again, did you mean that needs to meet the bonafide or physical presence test in the foreign country?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Physical presence test IN THE FOREIGN COUNTRY; in her case: Canada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

Canadian citizen to marry dual citizen (us/can) and relocate to US. [ 1 Answers ]

I am dual citizen (Can and US) born in Canada. Citizenship through mother who is American. Fiancé is Canadian. We both live in Canada now. I have been in Canada for 9 years working. We want to marry and relocate to states to be closer to my family. First, is it better to marry in Canada or...

Marriage to canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I have a non violent, non drug non sexual felony on my record, if I marry a Canadian citizen can I enter the country to live?

Canadian Income Tax - leasing and small business [ 6 Answers ]

I need help understanding lease write off and how it will affects my tax return. Example: I earn $50,000 per yr in my career and have a small business (sole proprietorship) that I earn $2,000 per yr. If I lease a vehicle under my business that costs me $1000 per month I understand I can write...

Canadian income question [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering accepting a position as a contractor with a Canadian company. I'll be working in the U.S. but being paid out of Canada. As a contractor I understand the rules around FICA, etc. but want to know if the Canadian company sends a 1099 MISC at the end of the year as a U.S. company would...

View more questions Search