Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Campbell Carol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Eligibility to purchase an IRA
    My husband and I are both retired and receive Social Security; however my husband has a part-time job that offers no benefits such as insurance, 401K, IRA, etc and I have been substitute teaching on a part-time basis with no benefits as well. We owe a substantual sum of money to the IRS this year because of income earned and not enough deductions.
    Are we eligible to purchase an IRA for each of us to help defray some of these taxes?
    Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 02:14 PM

Yes - you can contribute to a Traditional IRA and deduct the contribution for tax year 2008 if you make the contribution before April 15 and before you file your taxes. You are limited to contributing a maximum of either $6K each for tax-year 2008 (I assume you are 50 or older) or the amount of your wages, whichever is less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examp [ 10 Answers ]

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examples

L1 Eligibility [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have been employed since 13 months by my current employer. I have travelled to US twice in B1 for 3 months each for system study. Am I eligible for L1-Blanket, if I start processing now.

Eligibility for SSN? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on L1 visa and my spouse is on L2, my spouse do not have EAD. Can she apply for SSN? If yes, which are supporting document she need to submit?

About J1 tax eligibility [ 11 Answers ]

Hello,experts. I have a question about tax of J1 hoder to consult with you. I will do postdoc research in South Carolina recently with J1 visa. I book the air ticket on Dec 31, 2007, but boss told me arrival on this date will lose one year of tax eligibility, he ask me to change the date of...

L1 Eligibility & H1B [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I will graduate in May 2007 and I will start working in July 1, 2007. I've just gotten an offer which I expected to get H1B visa. However, the employer (A) preferred to file me for L1 visa. I wonder whether my profile is eligible for L1 visa. Here is my brief profile: I work for company A...

View more questions Search