Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikadee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 10:42 PM
    401K Withdrawal Puzzle
    Would anyone be able to explain to me the whole tax & penalty process for withdrawing a 401K before 59 ½ years old? I have been able to figure out pieces but I want to put the whole puzzle together to make an educated decision about this possible withdrawal. I know there is a 10% penalty, I know taxes have to come out up front but not how much, and I need to know if the net payout now becomes taxable income on my annual return.
    Thanks,
    Nikadee
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikadee
    Would anyone be able to explain to me the whole tax & penalty process for withdrawing a 401K before 59 ½ years old?? I have been able to figure out pieces but I want to put the whole puzzle together to make an educated decision about this possible withdrawal. I know there is a 10% penalty, I know taxes have to come out up front but not how much, and I need to know if the net payout now becomes taxable income on my annual return.
    Thanks,
    Nikadee
    The tax on a nonqualified withdrawal is taxed at your current tax rate plus a 10% penalty of the withdrawn amount.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2006, 09:58 AM
    The plan adminstrators are required to withhold 20% of the gross distribution towards your tax liability. The actual amount of taxes you will owe is dependent on the rest of your income. The 401k distribution is added to your other income to determine the actual tax liability. So you won't know exactly how much you will owe until you file your tax return.

In addition, there is a 10% penalty that you will need to pay. It is rarely a good idea to take an inservice withdrawal. Taking a 401k loan is usually a better alternative.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
    I agree with Scott.
    Nikadee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 09:41 PM
    Actually a loan is out of the question as my husband doesn't work there anymore and we were going to roll it over. Now we had some roof damage due to weather and the cost of the new roof has put us in a bad position. We are able to cash this one out without totally damaging our retirement plan. I just need to understand the procedure. Thanks so much to you both for answering me.
    Thxs,
    Nikki
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Ok so a loan is out of the question. But do you REALLY want to throw away 10% of your money, not to mention the extra taxes for this? You may be able to borrow the money (home equity loan?) at a cheaper cost.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Scott is right! Do NOT take this distribution until you examine all other possible loan options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you withdraw from a 401 to satisfy a divorce settlement without penalty?

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

How do you get a 401k early withdrawal? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you actually go about getting your 401k withdrawal?what does the total penalty and tax percentage taken off add up to?can you get it at any time of the year? Is it possible for your 401k to be "tied up" when you need it?please help!!

401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My company was purchased by another company that has established a new 401K. I have not yet done anything with my previous 401K. I would like to take the cash from my previous 401K and pay off my son's school loan. If I use the money to pay of the education loan, I know I will have to pay taxes...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search