Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heather02287 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Can the father or my child give up his rights without me saying OK?
    I am 11 weeks pregnant and the father of my child and I are not together because whenever I told him I was pregnant he wanted me to get an abortion and I told him no. Now he doesn't want to be with me and he is telling everyone he is going to sign over his rights whenever the baby is born. I have a son that's 10 months old already that is not his. He has a daughter that him and his mom has joint custody of because the mom of his daughter is in prison for two years. I do not want him to sign over his rights to our child. Its takes 2 people to make a baby so why should he be able to get off not helping? Please help me. :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Signing over his rights only releases him of decision making power regarding the health and welfare of the child. It does NOT relieve him of financial obligations. He will still have to pay child support.
    jverner Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
    No. It will require a court proceeding for him to terminate his parental rights, and often judges see no benefit to it because it deprives a child of child support.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 24, 2007, 01:04 AM
    In these cases... the rights of the CHILD are the ones at issue. The child's right to be protected, cared for (at least financially) by both parents. That does not mean a parent will take the responsibility of caring for, making parental decisions, etc... These can be given up. The term giving up rights... is just that... his right to visit child, decide child's education, medical,etc. He cannot give up responsibilities now. He should have thought of that when he had unprotected sex. Don't worry about his comments. You have a long time before the baby comes and emotions often cool. As well, things change. Take heart, the baby's rights will be protected. Cathy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Father doesn't want to be around because of his new GF; wants to give up rights. [ 13 Answers ]

My son's father lives an hour and a half away. Ever since I was pregnant he has been in and out of me and our son's life depending on his feelings for the week... His reasoning was that he was in love with me and wanted to work things out... We started working things out and he was doing well until...

A father wanting to give up rights? [ 15 Answers ]

My childrens's father wants to giveup his rights, what or how do we go about doing that. I'm 21 years old and I have a 1 year old and 2 year old. I'm in a stable relationship and we are about to get married soon and I was wondering does my fiancé have to adpot them now or what. Because my fiancé is...

Father wanting to give up rights [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Dakota and have lived here for the past 3 years. My divorce went through in Colorado and my exwife and daughter now live in Texas and have for almost a year now. Her new husband wants to adopt my daughter and I want to give up my rights so he can. I have called the Texas legal...

Getting father to give up parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Toronto Canada, I am separated from my abusive husband, we have a daughter he has not seen in her in three months, I do not want child support from him. I feel it is in my daughters best interest to have nothing to do with him or his family. I have three other children from my first...

View more questions Search