Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    workaholic61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Life insurance
    How do I find what life insurance company my grandma took out on my dad when he was alive. There is seven children all but one paid for his funeral. The one child that did not pay anything said there is a life ins. Policy and she wants a copy of the death certificate.
    She will not talk to any of use about the company or her share of the bill.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Well first, the funeral does not have to be paid for my the children, you as his children decided to pay for it, and you can't force another one of the children to pay, it is not like you divide the bill and everyone "HAS" to pay. It is a choice each makes. If they don't want to pay a part of it, they don't have to and you can't force them to.

Sorry, the funeral could have been paid from the estate if there was any money in it, and then there is less to divide by the family ( actually the correct way to do it)

There really is no way to find out what policy, if it is a real old one, you may start by calling some of the oldest and larger companies, and see if they have a policy under his name and social.

But you start going though all of his papers, all of his reciepts, important papters and try to find something about the insruance policy.

Also talk to his car insurance or house insurance agent, often they try to sell them more and do a summary of what they already have.

If she wants a copy of the death certificate, then most likely she has a copy of the life insruance policy, it will pay only to the person listed as the benificiary on the policy and to the estate if there is none listed or if the one listed is dead. And all she has to do is ask the funeral home to arrange to send her a copy or get a copy from the state ( or county)

Welcome to the world of evil family when a family member dies.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Mar 30, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Good question but keep mind that if he did have any life insurance, it would go to the beneficiary he named. If the beneficiary is not living, then it would go to his 2nd named beneficiary it he named one. If no 2nd beneficiary is named and the 1st beneficiary is not living, probably to his estate and if he had no will, you, as one of the surving children, would be entitled to share 1/7 of his estate provided he didn't leave a survivng spouse. If he did leave a surving spouse and neither of the two beneficaries are living, the life insurance proceeds would go to her. Most importantly, if the one child who has refused to particiapte in the final expenses and who refuses to discuss these matters with other family members, is not the named beneficiary, then that person will normally not be allowed to collect the life insurance unless it's a very very small policy less than $1,000. Then those proceeds, according to most of these small policies are very liberal in terminology as to who has legal right to the proceeds. If you have access to his important documents, policies, see if you can find the policy or any record of it. You just have to dig and look.
    heinsite33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Look throug his papers. There should be something from a life insurance co. If is a term policy it is possible that the term expired and there is no insurance other wise there could be lots of interest and cash value accumulated.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 21, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Cash values in permanent whole life or modified type whole life policies cease to exist upon the death of the insured and therefore, are not available as a death benefit. However, this may be a "paid up" policy such as a 20 pay life or something similar where one pays premiums for a limited period and then the death benefit (not the cash vaule) is paid out upon the insured's death. So don't anticipate "cashing" the policy in for it's cash value if it's a form of permanent insurance. There may be some accumulated interest but only if the insured had a "mutual policy" and that policy paid dividends and those dividends were not either paid out to insured each year or were not left in the policy to "accumulate" at interest. If the insured/owner elected to purchase "paid up additions" that "additional insurance purchased with those dividends would have purchased an additiional death benefit and upon the death of the insured, would be paid out as a death benefit not a "cash value" or "interest". There are many varaitons of insurance of so called permanent insurance so we are just guessing but don't plan on ". There are many varaitons of insurance of so called permanent insurance so we are just guessing but dont plan on " in the policy, rather you would be filing a claim for a "death benefit".
    plyinsmn Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

May 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Advise the larger companies of your dads SS#. You may get lucky.
    Metropolitan, John Hancock, Prudential,Allstate,Nationwide Ins. Co. North western,Americo.
    You can get records of most everyone that has purchased life insurance from The Medical InformationBureau MIB.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Life Insurance Help [ 9 Answers ]

I Need Help Understanding All The Different Types Of Life Insureance. Where Can I Find Decent Rates For Being A 36 Year Old Male. The Quotes I Have Received Seem Off The Wall Compared To The Rates My Co-workers Pay.

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Life insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is very ill. She is a single mom with 2 kids, one who is 18. She has an insurance policy and would like to make sure the proceeds go to her children but in trust for them until 21. Need advice on how to set up proceeds from insurance proceeds as outlined above.

Bankruptcy and life insurance [ 5 Answers ]

I know it is a weird combo. But if you claim corporate bankruptcy and you die can they go after your personal estate? If you have signed a personal guaranty? I heard they have to leave you(if not deceased) or your estate your house and a vehicle(in fla) is this true? Last question. Can they take...

Life Insurance Trustee [ 0 Answers ]

My brother recently died and left my father as the trustee for his life insurance with his only child as the beneficiary. My father is 72 years old and the child is 15. My father wants me to handle the trust monies for him because of his age, he doesn't want the hassle. There is no will. Is there...

View more questions Search