Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janeene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Landlords and tenants
    If there is two Tenant and the spouse drops his/her part of the lease agreement before the lease is up can the landlord evict the first/other Tenant? Or will the other Tenant have to be able to prove they can pay the rent and utilities?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 07:38 AM
    If either continues to pay, the landlord has no right to evict. Why would you want to? They do not need to prove anything to anyone, just meet the financial obligation to pay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 12:26 PM
    The owner has to allow the lease provisions no matter if one person moves, out, it only means the one left has to make all the payments, or sue the one who left for what they owe.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 14, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Both people signed the lease, and both individuals are independently responsible to pay the full amount, whether they live in the rental property or not. If one of the tenants move out, it does not end their financial responsibility. The landlord would still expect to receive the full amount of the rent every month until the lease ends. If one tenant pays the full amount, he can always take the second tenant to small claims court to collect payment. If the remaining tenant is not financially able or willing to pay the full monthly rent, the landlord will most likely file an eviction against both tenants. Since each tenant is equally responsible to pay the full amount of the rent, the landlord will go after the one that is most collectible, or both if they are both collectible.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Landlord advocate, did you leave out a word like one tenant does notpay the full amount. "If one tenant pays the full amount, he can always take the second tenant to small claims court" If one tenant were to pay the full amount the debt has been met and there are not grounds to take the second tenant to court or did I raed you wrong?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Marijuana and landlords [ 16 Answers ]

Hello: For what it’s worth, I live in Seattle. I have a prescription for marijuana. In a previous rental, I had a legal medical marijuana garden, and I had a big red sign on the door stating so. While I was away for a weekend, my landlord paid me a visit. He tore down the sign and called the...

Landlords home is being foreclosed on. [ 6 Answers ]

I am from Missouri and the owner of the home we are renting is being foreclosed on due to nonpayment. We have been paying our rent on time but we are faced with being evicted. What are our rights and since we have a years lease are they obligated to reimburse us for they remainder 6month lease?

Landlords providing heat [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, does the landlord legally have to provide heat? If they do NOT, what action can be taken by the tenant?

Absentee landlords [ 3 Answers ]

Does a landlord have the right to leave his property for the winter months with no one taking care of his property? The apartment is being lived in also.

Odd landlords [ 9 Answers ]

This is long so I apologize in advance... My significant other, daughter, and I moved into a full house with a large yard 2 months ago. We rented through a real estate agent. I specifically wanted this house because of the large yard. There have been several problems with the demands of...

View more questions Search