Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonjirey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 08:32 AM
    How to evict an unwanted guest
    Hello,

I had invited a friend to stay with me until he gets on his feet back in July. Since then we have not been getting along and I told him he needed to go. I sent him a text this morning requesting that he have his items out of my house by this Saturday and my key returned to me because I was changing the house alarm this weekend. He claims that he needed more time which I know for a fact he has other places to go and most of his items are in storage. Does this person have any rights? He has not paid rent and/or a utility bill since he moved in so I am unsure if he has any rights at all. Would I have to go through a formal eviction process to have him removed?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonjirey View Post
    Hello,

I had invited a friend to stay with me until he gets on his feet back in July. Since then we have not been getting along and I told him he needed to go. I sent him a text this morning requesting that he have his items out of my house by this Saturday and my key returned to me because I was changing the house alarm this weekend. He claims that he needed more time which I know for a fact he has other places to go and most of his items are in storage. Does this person have any rights? He has not paid rent and/or a utility bill since he moved in so I am unsure if he has any rights at all. Would I have to go through a formal eviction process to have him removed?

Where? This is an International site and laws vary.

Sep 4, 2012, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Where? This is an International site and laws vary.
    My apologies. I live in New Jersey.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonjirey View Post
    My apologies. I live in New Jersey.

NJ is somewhat complicated - here's the procedure to evict (and, yes, your friend is your tenant and needs to be evicted): Guidelines for New Jersey Residential Eviction

Sep 4, 2012, 09:15 AM
    Thank you for your help. I will start the process this week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unwanted guest! [ 4 Answers ]

If you let someone sleep in your vehicle for 3 days does that mean that person has established a residence in your home and would have to be evicted? At wits end , ...

Removeal of unwanted house guest. [ 2 Answers ]

I was trying to help a friend. I agree to let him stay till he found a place to live. It been six weeks. He keeps telling me he has no place to go. He pays a little each week to help me out. He drinks and get verably loud. He has pull a knife on me and punch me. I don't want to send him to jail I...

How to Evict a House Guest [ 2 Answers ]

Ihave a female non paying hostile roommate that was allowed to stay here.which is now going on 14 months because of the employment situation, which in turn allowed her to go to college to get a diploma in computers, she now is working as a full time waitress full time since the third week of...

Getting Rid of an Unwanted Guest [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle owns a single family home in DC. Ten years a go he let a friend with personal problems stay in his finished basement. Over the years this lady has allowed the space to become unlivable: from the roach infestation, to, the cats and their feces EVERYWHERE! How can he get her out?

How do you evict a guest or a person who took over possession [ 7 Answers ]

My son and his girlfriend moved in. she was pregnant and she had a fight with her mom.. I told my son she could only stay till she found another place to stay. At least 1 month or 2 at the most. This ended up being 9 months. I want them all out. I love my grand child but.. they have taken over my...

View more questions Search