Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robert rotolo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Unwanted guest!
    If you let someone sleep in your vehicle for 3 days does that mean that person has established a residence in your home and would have to be evicted?

At wits end ,
    Bradenton, Fl.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 07:25 AM
    If he is sleeping in your vehicle, why do you say he has established residence in your home. Two different circumstances. Which is it?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Your question really is whether a guest who stays overnight on your property can claim to be a tenant. In general the answer is no, he is a guest and not a tenant, absent some form of agreement (verbal or written) that indicates he is a tenant, and especially absent any form of payment from him to you for the use of your property. But laws vary, and some courts would hold that if he is reasonably well established on the property then he may be a tenant. Factors such as if he has his own set of keys to the property, if he's been there more than 30 days, or if he has his mail delivered there all help establish residency. But in general a non-paying overnight guest who extends his stay without your permission is a trespasser. You can try calling the cops to see if they'll help get rid of him, but unfortunately you may find they're unwilling to help without court order, in which case the only legal way to proceed is through written eviction notice followed if need be by court action.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robert rotolo View Post
    If you let someone sleep in your vehicle for 3 days does that mean that person has established a residence in your home and would have to be evicted?
    Drive it away and park it somewhere. And then lock it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
    AK, lmao

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removeal of unwanted house guest. [ 2 Answers ]

I was trying to help a friend. I agree to let him stay till he found a place to live. It been six weeks. He keeps telling me he has no place to go. He pays a little each week to help me out. He drinks and get verably loud. He has pull a knife on me and punch me. I don't want to send him to jail I...

Getting Rid of an Unwanted Guest [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle owns a single family home in DC. Ten years a go he let a friend with personal problems stay in his finished basement. Over the years this lady has allowed the space to become unlivable: from the roach infestation, to, the cats and their feces EVERYWHERE! How can he get her out?

Guest Won't Leave [ 3 Answers ]

A guest, invited to stay in our home for a week, has returned repeatedly after being asked to leave over and over, and sneakily has claimed residency by having mail sent here. Now he has become a nuisance, a threat, an unwanted "squatter" with several nasty habits: In several ways, he can be...

View more questions Search