Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle11236 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Collection Agency filed summons one month prior to SOL expiring
    I just found out that Credigy and Associates filed a summons in kings county courts for an old debt that they purchased from another collection agency (not the original creditor). The SOL expired December 2000, however I just found out that they filed the summons in November 2006 (SOL is 6 years in NY State). I was never served... I have sent credigy at least 3 Debt Validation letters before they filed last November, but they never responded. Should I answer the summons, since I now know about it or is it too late? Can I use the SOL expired defense, since I was never served because it is now beyond six years? Or, should I use the 'need to see original contract with my signature' defense in court since I have sent them numerous validation letters. Any help will be appreciated!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Yes, defend the action against them, if you have not been served with notice from the court, the court connot have jurisdiction over the matter or you.

Since they have failed you validicate the debt you can use that against them, for a unvalidcated claim. Demand produce of the original contract since that will be the only way they can prove their claim.

Also read this post:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ack-68213.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Summons from Collection Agency [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons this weekend from a collection agency. It is for a credit card debt of $2,000. I was advised to appear in court 30 days from the date on the summons which is January 25, 2007. I had resumed payment of this credit card in December, when the summons was filed, after not...

SoL Debt Collection in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I just had (Sprint Canada) call me stating that I have an outstanding debt from a residence I lived in about 7 years ago (1999). They told me that (Rogers) had bought out Sprint and that this was their last attempt to collect this debt. I asked them to send me proof of my debt with them, but...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

Collection agency refuses payment/papers filed [ 1 Answers ]

For the past six months I have been making monthly payments to a collection agency. Was told if I don't triple the amount I was sending, the agency was going to sue me. For four months the agency would call me at work and ask if I was going to triple the payment, if not they were going to sue....

View more questions Search